PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.04 & Cinnamon

GeForce 9500GT
September 18th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Hi everyone, Did anybody tried this combination? Or has this combination working on his/her system? And what is the general opinion about Ubuntu with Cinnamon?

hawthornso23
September 19th, 2012, 04:20 AM
I am interested in the answer to this question also. My understanding is that this is can be done by just adding a ppa. Is it that simple. I want Cinnamon as it looks like the right approach, but if it is going to be difficult on ubuntu I'll have to look at installing mint.

vasa1
September 19th, 2012, 04:30 AM
Hi everyone, Did anybody tried this combination? Or has this combination working on his/her system? And what is the general opinion about Ubuntu with Cinnamon?
Has the pulldown arrows problem been solved by switching to Cinnamon? That was quite a puzzle.

GeForce 9500GT
September 19th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Has the pulldown arrows problem been solved by switching to Cinnamon? That was quite a puzzle.

Nope.

Buntu Bunny
September 20th, 2012, 02:33 AM
I tried it but Cinnamon seemed buggy. I eventually uninstalled it and tried something else.

GeForce 9500GT
September 20th, 2012, 07:02 AM
I tried it but Cinnamon seemed buggy. I eventually uninstalled it and tried something else.

What kind of problems did you had?

bouncingwilf
September 20th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Been using Mint Maya 13 for a few weeks now which is basically 12.04 + cinnamon ( and a few other mods) - yet to find a problem.

Bouncingwilf

GeForce 9500GT
September 20th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Been using Mint Maya 13 for a few weeks now which is basically 12.04 + cinnamon ( and a few other mods) - yet to find a problem.
Linux Mint is created to be even more user friendlier than (..)buntu. It looks good and feels good, i used it for a while, but for me somehow it feels also a bit bleary. And after a while it also give me the impression of not being that stable at all. Can't really point out exactly what is was, but it didn't felt that rocksteady as (..)buntu does.

But my overall opinion is that is is a good operating system, easy to use and easy to learn. Linux Mint is more for novice users than for experienced users.

There are 2 good things with Mint i really do like: Mate and Cinnamon. Really good and easy to use desktop environments! Better than Unity.

Buntu Bunny
September 21st, 2012, 07:09 AM
What kind of problems did you had?

Right click didn't work. Made it difficult to do anything. I could have tried to have that solved in the forums I suppose, but I was just trying out alternatives to Unity. I really liked Xfce, so I just stuck with that.

Buntu Bunny
September 21st, 2012, 07:12 AM
There are 2 good things with Mint i really do like: Mate and Cinnamon. Really good and easy to use desktop environments!

I wondered about Mint. What is the difference between Mate and Cinnamon?

vasa1
September 21st, 2012, 07:25 AM
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/06/02/mate-vs-cinnamon/

GeForce 9500GT
September 21st, 2012, 07:28 AM

You can read everything here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon_(user_interface)) and here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_desktop).

Buntu Bunny
September 21st, 2012, 12:09 PM
Vasa1 and GeForce 9500GT, thanks!

RikoW
September 23rd, 2012, 11:10 AM
Coming back to the original question, I suppose you could just add the Mint repos and install Cinnamon into your Ubuntu installation:

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ maya main upstream import

sudo apt-get install cinnamon

should do the trick. The base system of Mint 13 is Ubuntu 12.04 anyway. You will then be able to select Cinnamon from the session section windows on the login screen.

The above would install Cinnamon 1.4 while 1.6 was recently released. That may fix some of the problem/bugs/instabilities people see or feel :)

V1.6 of cinnamon can be installed via this repos:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable

Of course, you can go the other way to (in fact, that's what I did):

1) install Mint 13
2a) install unity
2b) install gnome-shell

Work with all of them until you know which one you like best :)

Cheers,
Riko

SuperFreak
September 23rd, 2012, 01:02 PM
I have been using Cinnamon 1.6 on my Ubuntu 12.04 machine for about a week. I have had no instability problems (which I had with 1.4). I really like the interface which is much more crisp and professional compared to xfce (which is my previous DE)

wheeze
September 23rd, 2012, 01:25 PM
The above would install Cinnamon 1.4 while 1.6 was recently released. That may fix some of the problem/bugs/instabilities people see or feel :)

V1.6 of cinnamon can be installed via this repos:

Actually you can install Cinnamon 1.6 using Mint's repos by adding the romeo branch to their source list.

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ maya main upstream import romeo

Update apt and you'll have inn 1.6 available. Obviously, this works for Mint 13 as well :D

PS - Don't forget to install Mint's keyring, too, for error-free updates.

sudo apt-get install linuxmint-keyring

hwyckoff
September 24th, 2012, 12:08 AM
I installed Cinnamon on Ubuntu 12.04 and like the result. I was able to install it in a matter of minutes. So should you [be able to install it quickly], assuming you have a decent Internet speed.

Here's the method I followed: go into Terminal and enter these commands.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cinnamon

It's that easy. When you're done with the code, log out. When you log back in, change the default desktop from whatever you have to Cinnamon.