PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Online Distribution upgrade drops the NIC on reboot.

mikeah
September 18th, 2012, 12:14 AM
I have two machines that were at 10.04, one several years older than the other. I decided to update both machines to 12.04 via the online upgrade, the older machine first. It took several hours but really came off without any unexpected problems. So, I gave it two weeks to check the stability - which was perfect - before proceeding to the next machine, the one I care most about.

The new machine is an AMD 8-Core with a high end NVidia card. I only use NVidea. Normally I expect to upgrade and have to reload the drivers, but in each case things went perfectly video wise. My problem is that on the new machine - named Miki - it dropped the network card totally. The only error I can see in the upgrade involved ncurses, but that should not have impacted either picking up the network card itself or using the previous settings.

Is there a way to run the upgrade/reinstall from CD without formatting the disk? I did get a clean and recent backup of data just before the upgrade (paranoia) but I would rather not reinstall the universe if I could help it. The NIC worked perfectly for months, and during the upgrade (obviously), but whatever happened screwed up the NIC?