PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy S3 Storage Expansion Limitations?

cbanakis
September 17th, 2012, 07:13 PM
So, I got pretty tired of my iPhone, and I traded up to a Galaxy S3.

It looks like a great phone, but I have a question that no one at the Sprint store could answer, so maybe someone here knows?

The Galaxy S3 has a micro SD slot for expanding storage.

The Specs say "Supports up to 64GB Micro SD"

So my question is...

Is the limit in place due to the fact that at the moment, there are no Micro SD's larger than 64GB?

Or is it a limitation on the phone itself?

I only ask, because as many of you know, it can often go either way.

The best example is with external hard drive enclosures.
One may say "Up to 1TB", but thats just because 1TB was the largest HD that existed at the time that the enclosure was designed.

And I know for a fact, that with external enclosures, if it says "up to 1TB" a 4TB works just fine.

So, I am just wondering if I can get a 128GB card down the line. (Whenever they start making them)

Thoughts?

I know it could be a file system limitation, But I know nothing about the file system, or its limitations.

gletob
September 17th, 2012, 10:37 PM
The phone has SDXC, so theoretically you should be able to go up to 2 TB, but I'm not sure if there's a limitation in android or touchwiz.

AllRadioisDead
September 18th, 2012, 12:12 AM
The phone has SDXC, so theoretically you should be able to go up to 2 TB, but I'm not sure if there's a limitation in android or touchwiz.

No it doesn't. 99% of smartphones only support MicroSD and the Galaxy S3 is not exception.

OP, you're pretty much limited to 16GB/32GB/64GB(unreleased) depending on your model + up to 64GB of MicroSD storage.

Also, start using Google's cloud services. I store all my documents on Drive, my music in Google Music, email in Gmail, etc.

My Nexus only has 16GB's of storage and I never find myself with less than 8GBleft at any given time.

To answer your original question, theoretical I think your phone should support 128GB cards should they be released in the future. Most phones that were released prior to 64GB cards support them just fine.

Mikeb85
September 18th, 2012, 04:27 PM
My HTC Amaze advertised support for up to 32gb MicroSD, yet 64 gb cards work fine. I think it's only limited by currently available MicroSDs (they don't want to advertise a higher number for consumers to find out the cards don't exist).

cbanakis
September 18th, 2012, 05:54 PM
My HTC Amaze advertised support for up to 32gb MicroSD, yet 64 gb cards work fine. I think it's only limited by currently available MicroSDs (they don't want to advertise a higher number for consumers to find out the cards don't exist).

Yeah, thats what I was thinking.

Just got a 64GB yesterday, so on paper its maxed out.

But I am hoping when 128's come out, they will work as well.

I was hoping someone would know for a fact either yes or no.

But knowing that you went beyond the max spec on yours, and it works is comforting.