PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Enterprise Deployment - Ubuntu Desktop 12.04

huzefa_from_kuwait
September 17th, 2012, 06:25 AM
Hello people,

We just planned to move all desktops in our enterprise to Ubuntu. There are a few settings in the current MS setup which I wish to replicate it to Ubuntu as well. The one that I am currently working on, and unable to solve (and require your expert help) are:

1) To prevent normal users (sudo is restricted) from accessing any type of system or user settings (change themes, desktop etc) by hiding them. Earlier this was attained by GPO.

2) To prevent users from navigating to any other folder structure except for their home directories. (deleting all references and shortcuts from nautilus)

3) Allow USB ports (for mouse and keyboard) but disable flash drives. (A registry hack did this earlier in MS)

Thanks.

Mohan1289
September 17th, 2012, 06:43 AM
as for to prevent all the users from navigating t any other folder structure except their home folder i think you can do it with "chmod" by giving the directory name..

try chmod 700 / /bin /etc /bin etc... (except don't put home folder there)

here only admin can access the directories you mentioned above..

Correct me if i'm wrong

kaytrance
September 17th, 2012, 07:17 AM
1. remove user group (or separate user) from sudoers
2. umm.. yeah, maybe chmod will be the right solution.
3. I think it's only possible to make USB flash drives read-only.

Mohan1289
September 17th, 2012, 07:35 AM
i think it's better to remove the User Group than separate the users from the group since that's an enterprise they'll have large number of user's.. I think it's better to Remove User Group and use "chmod" command

kaytrance
September 17th, 2012, 07:58 AM
i think it's better to remove the User Group than separate the users from the group since that's an enterprise they'll have large number of user's.. I think it's better to Remove User Group and use "chmod" command
yes, I agree.

Scott Harrison
September 17th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Hello people,

We just planned to move all desktops in our enterprise to Ubuntu. There are a few settings in the current MS setup which I wish to replicate it to Ubuntu as well. The one that I am currently working on, and unable to solve (and require your expert help) are:

1) To prevent normal users (sudo is restricted) from accessing any type of system or user settings (change themes, desktop etc) by hiding them. Earlier this was attained by GPO.

2) To prevent users from navigating to any other folder structure except for their home directories. (deleting all references and shortcuts from nautilus)

3) Allow USB ports (for mouse and keyboard) but disable flash drives. (A registry hack did this earlier in MS)

Thanks.
This sounds like a great project... I have some questions if you don't mind me asking?

Firstly, what applications will make up your SOE? For example, what email client will you use to replace Outlook?

huzefa_from_kuwait
September 17th, 2012, 08:36 AM
First of all thanks for all the replies.

as for to prevent all the users from navigating t any other folder structure except their home folder i think you can do it with "chmod" by giving the directory name..

try chmod 700 / /bin /etc /bin etc... (except don't put home folder there)

here only admin can access the directories you mentioned above..

Correct me if i'm wrong

I practically can't do that because if I do (as I understand you) the user shall not have any access to the /bin directory at all which in case he won't be able to use any of the applications installed (like openoffice).

1. remove user group (or separate user) from sudoers
2. umm.. yeah, maybe chmod will be the right solution.
3. I think it's only possible to make USB flash drives read-only.

I have already removed the from sudoers yet I can't hide the "System Settings", "Displays" etc kind of stuff from the Ubuntu Unity Desktop. I don't want my users to put fancy kind of wallpapers on their desktop or some colourful mouse pointers or some fancy themes, it doesn't look professional to an arriving customer.

The company content is sensitive and I certainly need to block access to flashdrives. If there is some driver file that loads during accessing flash drives (as it was USBSTOR with MS) and if we cant restrict access to it, then it might work but I am not sure.

This sounds like a great project... I have some questions if you don't mind me asking?

Firstly, what applications will make up your SOE? For example, what email client will you use to replace Outlook?

We have an Oracle 3-Tier Application server so basically the client means a browser. Apart from that there is OpenOffice and Thunderbird. Currently on MS clients also we are using OpenOffice and Thunderbird so I suppose migration won't be that clumsy.

kaytrance
September 17th, 2012, 09:20 AM
The company I work at now moves to Zimbra from VMWare. The only missing thing I found (comparing to MS outlook) is unable to make reccurent tasks.

huzefa_from_kuwait
September 23rd, 2012, 11:21 AM
There is one another issue,

We have an Oracle Application server 11g 3-Tier application. This application runs on java and is run through the browser.

The application is in two languages arabic and english. The problem is when we switch the language to arabic the text comes but the orientation does not flip from LTR to RTL.

Earlier in MS this setting was controlled from the regional settings. In regional settings if we supplied Arabic (Kuwait) then it would flip fine.

The question is how can I do the same thing in Ubuntu ?

Thanks.

itmltd
October 23rd, 2012, 12:05 PM
You can disable USB storage without actually disabling USB ports.
Use the command below:

sudo echo "blacklist usb-storage" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Cheers,