PDA

View Full Version : Old computer system

acefromspace
September 16th, 2012, 07:59 PM
I am currenty using ubuntu 10.04 LTS and loving it, but my old computer is barely up to spec (AMD Althon running at 1800 MHz, 512 RAM) Will ubuntu 12.04 work? Should I consider other distro in the future if my machine can't keep up? Any suggestions?

micahpage
September 16th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Will ubuntu 12.04 work?

it should. If you start having trouble try installing and using a less of a hog desktop as that might hinder it a little

snowpine
September 16th, 2012, 08:17 PM
You can probably squeeze a little more life out of that old computer by upgrading your RAM and/or using Xubuntu.

kemtnbkr
September 16th, 2012, 08:25 PM
+1 for Xubuntu. Or Lubuntu is also another option. I used Lubuntu for a while, but now I think I am leaning towards Xubuntu- it has a bit more elegant of an environment imo. But, see for yourself what you like! Both are very lightweight- even with only 512MB of RAM, you should be fine most of the time unless you're trying to do all sorts of stuff at once.

For example, I'm running xubuntu right now on my laptop, and my current memory usage is ~505MB. I have a 4-page PDF open, and Firefox w/ a gmail tab, and 3 others (including this one). So, Firefox is using ~275MB. I think you should be fine for the time being with either Lubuntu or Xubuntu 12.04

jerrrys
September 16th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Half a gig of ram and xubuntu has worked good for me in the past.

acefromspace
September 17th, 2012, 07:24 PM
I won't be using unity so it should be OK. Yes, more memory would help. I'll check out xubuntu too. Thanks for the advice. I have a friend with an even older computer: 800 MHz, 512 RAM so I will recommend xubuntu for him. He is running windows xp right now... lucky he doesn't have internet so no worries about virus, ect. He's getting internet soon so I will set him up with dual boot and disable networking in windows (I have an xp install disc too... never use it myself ;) ) I have another computer like mine (1800 MHz, 512 RAM) that just needs power supply and video card (no onboard) I could swap his parts into this machine, but his sister gave his compuer to him and he still thinks it's a decent system ( I don't want to insult him so I just say "it's not bad"...I'm lying of course)

cortman
September 17th, 2012, 07:29 PM
I can now just point you here (http://cortman.wordpress.com/2012/09/16/what-distro-should-i-use-on-my-old-computer/) for my opinions on suitable distros for old computers.

Galdov
September 17th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Xubuntu works great in one of my computers wich is similar (sempron 2300+, 640MB RAM)

acefromspace
September 18th, 2012, 05:43 PM
cortman, thanks for the link!