PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop Launchers For GNOME3

coljohnhannibalsmith
September 16th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Is there anyway to setup Desktop Launchers in GNOME3?

Thanks Hannibal

AlanQ
September 16th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Not sure I quite understand what you're trying to do but maybe this page will help:
Make GNOME Shell Your Own: 10 GNOME Shell Extensions to Install (http://www.howtogeek.com/113204/make-gnome-shell-your-own-10-gnome-shell-extensions-to-install/)
I'm just about to follow its recommendations...

ajgreeny
September 16th, 2012, 03:42 PM
I don't use gnome 3, but try copying the various application .desktop files of the applications you want from /usr/share/applications to the Desktop folder of your user. I have no idea if it will work or not in gnome 3, but it's worth trying, just to find out.

After copying the files you may need to make sure they are executable, or you could get an "untrusted" error.

spier
September 16th, 2012, 05:47 PM
This is not the official way, but a lazy one:

login to classic gnome, create all desktop launcher you need, logout and log back to gnome and .. voilą!!!

coljohnhannibalsmith
September 18th, 2012, 07:45 PM
spier,

I tried what you suggested but I haven't found an option to create launchers on the desktop. Do I have to enable this somewhere, or do it from the command line?

Thanks Hannibal

spier
September 19th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Hannibal, sorry for the delay.

While in gnome classic, I'm abble to create launchers/shortcuts by dragging items from main menu to desktop, or by right clicking on desktop and select the create launcher option ... just like wth gnome 2 ;)