PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to go to Desktop directly from multiple windows opened?

satyamM
September 16th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Recently I upgraded to 12.04 from 10.04..

In 10.04 there was this icon on bottom right hand side by which I could switch to Desktop directly when I have opened more than 4-5 windows, by clicking on that icon.....

But when I have upgraded to 12.04 there is no such icon present...now I have to minimize or close every application that I have opened......

Moreover application bar has gone up with tabs in like 'File', 'Edit', 'Go', 'Help' ........I dont want them too.....,,earlier it was too good in 10.04 when every application opened featured in main bar present on floor of Desktop.....

Somebody please help...

MG&TL
September 16th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Recently I upgraded to 12.04 from 10.04..

In 10.04 there was this icon on bottom right hand side by which I could switch to Desktop directly when I have opened more than 4-5 windows, by clicking on that icon.....

But when I have upgraded to 12.04 there is no such icon present...now I have to minimize or close every application that I have opened......

Moreover application bar has gone up with tabs in like 'File', 'Edit', 'Go', 'Help' ........I dont want them too.....,,earlier it was too good in 10.04 when every application opened featured in main bar present on floor of Desktop.....

Somebody please help...

1. Install CCSM.

2. Navigate, in CCSM, to "Ubuntu Unity Plugin".

3. Click on the "Experimental" tab (if memory serves).

4. Click "Show desktop icon".

Well, if you didn't want to use the features Unity provides or change your workflow, why did you upgrade? If you need 12.04 for some other reason, there are alternative desktop environments available.

satyamM
September 16th, 2012, 11:04 AM
1. Install CCSM.

2. Navigate, in CCSM, to "Ubuntu Unity Plugin".

3. Click on the "Experimental" tab (if memory serves).

4. Click "Show desktop icon".

Well, if you didn't want to use the features Unity provides or change your workflow, why did you upgrade? If you need 12.04 for some other reason, there are alternative desktop environments available.

Hey Thanks, now I have 'Show Desktop' in Launcher....

So has Ubuntu 12.04 this permanent feature of Unity which makes it different from 10.04? And cant the appearance changed to what it looked like in 10.04....isn't that possible?..

MG&TL
September 16th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Hey Thanks, now I have 'Show Desktop' in Launcher....

So has Ubuntu 12.04 this permanent feature of Unity which makes it different from 10.04? And cant the appearance changed to what it looked like in 10.04....isn't that possible?..

Yes, it's a permament feature. Yes, you can get different desktop environments. Give Unity a go for at least a week before condeming it, though, many people hate it to start with and then get used to it.

Although if you're after a GNOME 2 clone, there's gnome-fallback, MATE, Cinnamon, gnome-panel....pick a choice. :)

satyamM
September 16th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Yes, it's a permament feature. Yes, you can get different desktop environments. Give Unity a go for at least a week before condeming it, though, many people hate it to start with and then get used to it.

Although if you're after a GNOME 2 clone, there's gnome-fallback, MATE, Cinnamon, gnome-panel....pick a choice. :)

Okay....!!! Let me try ..and I will post whatever I am able to do..

thanks for your help....