PDA

View Full Version : RedHat consumer down-load and questions.

ronin67
September 16th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Just was wondering, I'm currently using Ubuntu 12.4 and was interested in downloading Redhat into Parallels 8.0 (current MBP user). Is there a consumer version of Redhat that I can download and what is the big difference between Redhat and Ubuntu? Any and all help would be deeply appreciated.:smile:

Ed

CharlesA
September 16th, 2012, 12:39 AM
Yes, it is called CentOS and/or Scientific Linux.

RedHat and Debian are two different type of distros, they use different package managers and have different stuff in their repos.

Epodx64
September 16th, 2012, 01:28 AM
http://www.centos.org
Cent OS is a binary clone of RHEL you can even interchange package between the two distributions I use Cent OS 6.3 as a file server right now

sandyd
September 16th, 2012, 02:07 AM
Fedora.
Fedora is where RedHat tests their software before sticking it into RHEL

CharlesA
September 16th, 2012, 02:17 AM
Fedora.
Fedora is where RedHat tests their software before sticking it into RHEL
Mmmm Fedora.

Er I mean... I run Fedora on one of my desktops and Gnome 3 = Awesome.

cariboo
September 16th, 2012, 04:28 AM
This is more of an opinion thread, than a support thread. Moved to the Cafe.

Mikeb85
September 16th, 2012, 06:04 AM
Just was wondering, I'm currently using Ubuntu 12.4 and was interested in downloading Redhat into Parallels 8.0 (current MBP user). Is there a consumer version of Redhat that I can download and what is the big difference between Redhat and Ubuntu? Any and all help would be deeply appreciated.:smile:

Ed

Fedora is the consumer version. Red Hat Enterprise Linux is the enterprise version. You can get Fedora from fedoraproject.org.

Difference is package manager - Yum and .rpms vs. apt-get and .debs, DE - Gnome 3 instead of Unity, and other random little things.