PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No Wireless (New to Ubuntu)

avanboekel11
September 15th, 2012, 03:28 AM
Hello, sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I am new to Ubuntu, and I need help.

I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my Dell Inspiron 6400. Everything went fine with the installation, but there is no wireless. When I hover over the wireless logo, it says "Wireless Networks device not ready (firmware missing)". I don't know how to install the missing firmware if I don't have access to the web.

Anyways, any help is appreciated. I look forward to using Ubuntu as I am fed up with Windows.

Thanks in advance
avanboekel11

skabople
September 15th, 2012, 03:33 AM
You will need to hardware the laptop into an internet connection and run Additional Drivers. That should find it. If not then using Synaptic Package Manager you can install wireless linux-backports until one works. Good luck and let us know how things go :)

Regards.

avanboekel11
September 15th, 2012, 03:38 AM
You will need to hardware the laptop into an internet connection and run Additional Drivers.

How do I "run" Additional Drivers?

Edit: Never-mind found it

avanboekel11
September 15th, 2012, 03:49 AM
You will need to hardware the laptop into an internet connection and run Additional Drivers. That should find it. If not then using Synaptic Package Manager you can install wireless linux-backports until one works. Good luck and let us know how things go :)

Regards.

Okay, running Additional Drivers didn't work. I installed Synaptic Package Manager, but I'm not really sure how to use it.

avanboekel11
September 15th, 2012, 03:55 AM
Okay... So while waiting for a reply, I decided to try running "Additional Drivers" again. If found "Broadcom STA wireless driver". Activated it, and it failed.

yousra
November 14th, 2012, 01:38 PM
hi,
I have the same problem as you any help,

Abhinav Kumar
November 14th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Okay... So while waiting for a reply, I decided to try running "Additional Drivers" again. I found "Broadcom STA wireless driver". Activated it, and it failed.
Hi,

have a look at a similar thread
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2072887
:)

Regards,
Abhinav