PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Xubuntu to Kubuntu USB installation problem

jadarite2013
September 15th, 2012, 02:56 AM
I installed Xubuntu from a USB. It worked fine 3 months ago, and I have been using another computer since. I want to put Kubuntu on the first one, so I put Kubuntu on USB, and I now I get "Disk Boot Failure" error messages. Nothing seems to work when I tweak BIOS settings. If I did before, then it seems like it would be possible unless after installing Xubuntu it might prevent me from installing again (which doesn't make much sense because I easily went from Ubuntu to Kubuntu on a third hard drive). Anyway, I am curious what you would do to try to get the USB installation to work. NO cd or internet solutions for this request.

While I wait for replies, I will try to use the internet to install Kubuntu, but it's not installing from the software center and crashes. I will probably try updating Xubuntu in order to get Kubuntu. Maybe that is the problem with the internet installation, but I am still curious what you guys think would be the solution to installing Kubuntu on a USB. I also have the USB which has Xubuntu installation and I have the same problem. I haven't done anything different to the computer and I am rather stumped. It shows the files on the USB stick and has it listed in BIOS.

Epodx64
September 15th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Try """reburning""" the image on the usb drive and make sure your using one of the usb ports on the back of the machine.

jadarite2013
September 15th, 2012, 08:12 AM
It wasn't a USB issue. I tried several things. Finally, I just took the hard drive from computer 1, put it in computer 2 (which is a significantly better computer) and installed Kubuntu from the USB. Then I put the hard drive back into computer 1 and it works fine.

It still won't recognize the USB stick I guess, but I didn't do this last time I put Xubuntu on. I am not going to waste anymore time worrying about this since I have Kubuntu running.

Just if anyone has experienced this or might know the exact problem, please let me know. Perhaps there is a BIOS issue. For example, I noticed the CD player isn't working. It won't eject, so I disconnected the cord and tried it with it connected. Right now I have the power cord disconnected since I don't need it. The USB ports are lightening fast. I just transferred 70 GB of movies on to it, so it must be some other issue (IDE and SATA not properly set?)