PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Better graphics card for Dimension 4550?

zuren
September 15th, 2012, 02:22 AM
I acquired another older tower PC on which I immediately installed Lubuntu. The graphics card only has a VGA connection and the colors coming up on the LCD monitor aren't quite right compared to another Lubuntu tower I have running a better card. I figure a better graphics card would help along with giving me DVI connections.

The system:

Dell Dimension 4550
Pentium4 2.4GHz
512MB RAM (soon to be 1GB)
AGP 4x/8x slot for card
60GB HDD
250V power supply

Current graphics card is a GeForce4 MX(???) - whatever came standard issue from Dell. It ran a shooter game (Sauerbraten) well enough.

I did some searching and it seems that a Nvidia 6600 series card is about as good as it would get for a 4550 without upgrading power supplies or doing anything else major. I have a free molex connector if something did need power so I'm looking for something that would drop in and be supported by Lubuntu. Does the Nvidia 6600 suggestion seem correct or are there other cards I should consider? I'll be cruising ebay keeping my eyes open.

My budget is low - nothing more than $40-50. And I read somewhere that the amount of RAM the GPU card has can be incompatible with the system. Is there truth to this?

Thanks!

marinara
September 16th, 2012, 10:33 AM
AGP cards from 2004 aren't cheap. Also who knows if they still work well. (in ubuntu)
I hate to discourage you, but can you just fix your monitor?

zuren
September 18th, 2012, 04:05 PM
AGP cards from 2004 aren't cheap. Also who knows if they still work well. (in ubuntu)
I hate to discourage you, but can you just fix your monitor?

I did some research and read that a 7600GS or GT card was/is about as good as you can get for this system without power issues. I found a Nvidia Geforce 7600GS on ebay for ~$40. It was made by XFX for Dell so hopefully it will work.

Thanks for the help!