PDA

View Full Version : Rant About University Software Requirments

Vinton90
September 14th, 2012, 07:39 PM
I just enrolled in Kaplan University yesterday, and I am on track to get my Associates Degree in Information Technology with a focus in application development. I plan on either focusing on that again during my Bachelors or focusing on security instead. But, I digress. In order for me to take these classes I have to purchase software from Microsoft, and may even be forced (not literally but as a recommendation to stay up to date) to purchase an upgrade of the OS, as I am only using XP on a my desktop. I don't usually touch it but I will have to for school. I'm not angry about having to use Windows because I understand that that is what they are teaching us to be able to fix and or manipulate; what I am a little annoyed with though is that I'm going to be spending a couple hundred dollars just to be able to take this class.

It's softened by the fact that they have links to the student discounted software and OS, and that my text books are supplied as part of tuition. They also have about half of their textbooks as e-books (pdfs) which I can send to my Kindle. It just irks me really that I have to have this stuff, and they won't acknowledge the open source software that does the same thing. The online portion (the website/portal for classes) checks your computer and tells you what you're missing. It was unhappy with me not having Adobe Reader, Java7 and pop ups blocked. It just seems like a lot of money, and complication for something that can be done, in my mind, much easier, and safer.

But, I'm going to try not to let it get in the way of my learning. What are your thoughts on schools insisting on "paid for software" only? And your experiences, if you have them, with "converting" your schools to allow the option for open source or to change entirely?

afulldeck
September 14th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Remember this when you find yourself in a position of power or decision. You might be able to change the direction of the world .....

BrianBlaze
September 14th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Application developpment in windows? I am thinking they want you to be comfortable with windows since it's like the number 1 used OS at the work place but in reality most developpers I know use OSX and even at my job ALL the developpers are on mac's. Anyways in my opinion you can do the same stuff with Linux, Mac and Windows if you are patient so just be happy to learn new things :)

MG&TL
September 14th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Application developpment in windows? Anyways in my opinion you can do the same stuff with Linux, Mac and Windows if you are patient so just be happy to learn new things :)

Depressingly, not entirely true. I have to use Visual Basic .NET for my CS A-level course, which doesn't really have an equivalent outside of the MS world. I wouldn't mind so much if "they've always done this", but they just switched this year to VB from Pascal.

wojox
September 14th, 2012, 08:18 PM
It's a business school. Run by a private, profit-seeking business.

drawkcab
September 14th, 2012, 08:59 PM
It's a business school. Run by a private, profit-seeking business.

You should really think hard about giving your tuition money to Kaplan. In my judgment it's not worth it.

Bölvağur
September 15th, 2012, 12:26 AM
in reality most developpers I know use OSX and even at my job ALL the developpers are on mac's.

This is what I have been seeing, most places I have seen they have a either Linux or Mac OSX. But from the other places they are (semi-)strictly windows only.

Frogs Hair
September 15th, 2012, 01:30 AM
I too have to use MS products for school. MS programs are the tools they provide and use except for IT which has an Introduction Linux course. All my employers have used MS as well except for servers.

I have never thought about selecting a school based what computer software they require. I know most major collages in my state use MS. There are fairly large student discounts available for MS software if you take the time to look into it. I picked up some coupons in the school library . Of course you have to prove your a student to use them.

Mikeb85
September 15th, 2012, 06:00 AM
I'm currently pursuing a Bachelor's of Commerce degree, and MS Office is basically a requirement, although I am enjoying using it. While Libre Office can do the same things, OneNote + Excel + Outlook + Word is a great combination that makes life easy and taking notes pleasant.

That being said, I checked out the Computer Science section at the library the other day, everything is Linux, Java, C and Python. Didn't see a single book about anything Microsoft.

But the Business school uses Office extensively...

jones27557
September 15th, 2012, 08:54 AM
The bottom line is colleges are for-profit organizations. When I worked at the community college, everything was Microsoft.

3rdalbum
September 15th, 2012, 09:48 AM
If you're using Windows XP (which is what, ten or eleven years old?) then they're well within their rights to insist you upgrade to something a little less ancient.

However, where possible I believe universities should allow, as much as possible, the students to use Linux and Mac OS. Obviously they can't provide technical support if things don't work properly, but forcing the use of non-multiplatform software should not be accepted.

jones27557
September 15th, 2012, 10:14 AM
You're free to "use" anything you want.

the issue would be with the assignments. How you gonna do those spreadsheets in the Excel course without winders? The ActiveX you need to log onto the college site? Emailing those homework assignments in Libreoffice when the instructor has MS Office on his PC.

wojox
September 15th, 2012, 12:24 PM
The bottom line is colleges are for-profit organizations.When I worked at the community college, everything was Microsoft.

Almost all community colleges here in the US are funded by local tax revenue.

donkyhotay
September 15th, 2012, 04:52 PM
I used linux all through college. Most of my teachers "demanded" we only use windows and other microsoft based products. I even had one that specifically said she would not accept papers written with open office even if saved in .doc format (it was an online course so submissions were online). I ignored this, used open office and saved in .doc format and of course she never noticed the difference. Of course all the teachers that did this were my non-computer credits (like english, history, etc.) while all of my computer related classes had no problem with me using linux because they knew enough about computers to know it wouldn't affect anything so long as the class wasn't windows specific. I do remember one class that was windows specific, (windows server administration) which I used a VM for but since we had to have windows server edition for that class almost everyone else was using a VM as well (though running on top of XP). When it comes to college if it's not a computer course then the OS you're using doesn't matter and if it a computer course then a VM works just fine.

doorknob60
September 15th, 2012, 06:54 PM
With my school it doesn't matter. My computer Science teacher knows I use Linux and even though all the school's computers run Windows 7, he has no problem with it. So far, the only extra software we've used is a JAR applet as lab software, which of course works with any OS. The general consesus around campus for turning in assignments is as longs as it's .doc, .docx or .pdf, go ahead. If I really wanted I could probably go with ODT (v 1.1) because all the computer have Office 2010, but I won't bother, PDF ensures it looks the same anywhere, no other format can do that. In general, I think the fact that many students use OS X help out Linux users, because now professors have to realize (and do) that not everybody uses Windows.

jayboe
September 15th, 2012, 07:09 PM
I just enrolled in Kaplan University yesterday, and I am on track to get my Associates Degree in Information Technology with a focus in application development. I plan on either focusing on that again during my Bachelors or focusing on security instead. But, I digress. In order for me to take these classes I have to purchase software from Microsoft, and may even be forced (not literally but as a recommendation to stay up to date) to purchase an upgrade of the OS, as I am only using XP on a my desktop. I don't usually touch it but I will have to for school. I'm not angry about having to use Windows because I understand that that is what they are teaching us to be able to fix and or manipulate; what I am a little annoyed with though is that I'm going to be spending a couple hundred dollars just to be able to take this class.

It's softened by the fact that they have links to the student discounted software and OS, and that my text books are supplied as part of tuition. They also have about half of their textbooks as e-books (pdfs) which I can send to my Kindle. It just irks me really that I have to have this stuff, and they won't acknowledge the open source software that does the same thing. The online portion (the website/portal for classes) checks your computer and tells you what you're missing. It was unhappy with me not having Adobe Reader, Java7 and pop ups blocked. It just seems like a lot of money, and complication for something that can be done, in my mind, much easier, and safer.

But, I'm going to try not to let it get in the way of my learning. What are your thoughts on schools insisting on "paid for software" only? And your experiences, if you have them, with "converting" your schools to allow the option for open source or to change entirely?

Well, I can give you a brief iteration of my poor upbringing in the deep south where technology was just some far away fairy tale of mind expansion so there was little to grow on. I was 25 before I had my first computer. I am only 36 now, so my first experience was dreadfully full of the well spent advertising market from microsoft.... :( If only I knew the what I know now, to borrow a cliche. The public in the US is so brainwashed with the slogans and marketing techniques that they are oblivious to the wonderful FOSS arena of stretching the limits and potential of the human mind. I so wish I could just go back a couple of decades before the zombies took over... At least there are some other "not so privileged countries" out there that have helped bring some of it to light... Ever wonder where the name Ubuntu came from?
Just saying that I am so loyal to FOSS and Ubuntu is where the light came in through the blinds, waking me from my slumber...

rg4w
September 15th, 2012, 07:38 PM
IMNSHO, any school that chooses to prioritize being a showcase for an OS vendor over support the interoperability that's driving an ever-increasing amount of the world's tech is doing itself a discredit to its reputation.

afulldeck
September 15th, 2012, 08:01 PM
With my school it doesn't matter. My computer Science teacher knows I use Linux and even though all the school's computers run Windows 7, he has no problem with it. So far, the only extra software we've used is a JAR applet as lab software, which of course works with any OS. The general consesus around campus for turning in assignments is as longs as it's .doc, .docx or .pdf, go ahead. If I really wanted I could probably go with ODT (v 1.1) because all the computer have Office 2010, but I won't bother, PDF ensures it looks the same anywhere, no other format can do that. In general, I think the fact that many students use OS X help out Linux users, because now professors have to realize (and do) that not everybody uses Windows.

I would have thought that by now, all assignments should be submitted in .pdf and signed appropriately.

AllRadioisDead
September 15th, 2012, 08:25 PM
I'm not sure about you, but since I'm enrolled in the COIS program at my school I'm eligible for a free copy of Windows 7.

donkyhotay
September 15th, 2012, 09:16 PM
I'm not sure about you, but since I'm enrolled in the COIS program at my school I'm eligible for a free copy of Windows 7.

Just because you *can* get a free copy of windows doesn't mean people want it on their system. I have a completely legit copy of windowsXP I bought from before I migrated to linux but I don't use it except in a VM and even then very rarely.

diable
September 16th, 2012, 04:17 AM

How is the school suppose to teach you how to program if everyone is using a different OS's and compilers? The vast majority of pc's run Windows so the school would be doing its students a huge disservice if the classes were based around programs only available on OSX or Linux.

AllRadioisDead
September 16th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Just because you *can* get a free copy of windows doesn't mean people want it on their system. I have a completely legit copy of windowsXP I bought from before I migrated to linux but I don't use it except in a VM and even then very rarely.

Oh, boo hoo. You have to use Windows.

Honestly, it's just an OS. It's an environment, and a tool to get work done. There are many things Windows does better than *Ubuntu.

effenberg0x0
September 16th, 2012, 07:27 AM
How is the school suppose to teach you how to program if everyone is using a different OS's and compilers? The vast majority of pc's run Windows so the school would be doing its students a huge disservice if the classes were based around programs only available on OSX or Linux.

I disagree. Programming is programming. Learning to program is learning math, logic, algorithms, problem solving, memory/cpu inner workings, etc. Once you master that in a few portable languages (the standards, like C/C++, Java, Python, whatever you pick) then you are able to choose to adopt any libs and APIs you want in your code. And that includes some libs that are portable between OSs and some that are not, some are free and some are proprietary.

If you take a closer look at the market today, few applications are still exclusive to one OS, which is the case of Microsoft's apps. Professional business applications, like ERP, CRM, SCM, ECM, DMS normally are available to more than one OS and Linux is included. It is becoming more frequent to have the same apps in Android and iOS, the same games for XBOX360 and PS3 (sometimes PC), etc. Web browser-based apps are also contributing to this.

IMO we should not mix the choice/strategy some proprietary software companies adopt (to protect their investment in R&D and marketing by closing software sources) with any limitation in programming languages portability.

Regards,
Effenberg

Scott Harrison
September 16th, 2012, 08:03 AM
I would have thought that by now, all assignments should be submitted in .pdf and signed appropriately.
Exactly what I was thinking...

JDShu
September 16th, 2012, 08:18 AM
What you learn in school is probably not enough anyway.

Here's my advice: Do what you can to get certified at your school (personally I would recommend you go to a community college or state school instead of a for-profit), even if you dislike it, you have to adapt to the system. However, in your spare time, push yourself to learn stuff in your chose field. For example, if you're in software development, learn how to program and develop applications by yourself, get involved in open source development, or join a local programming group.

QIII
September 16th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Strangely, Windows wasn't even a consideration when I was an undergrad (since it didn't exist) and for most of my post-grad work Windows wasn't allowed. But I guess that was the time.

Fundamentally, "programming" has less to do with OSes and languages than it does with problem solving skills and logical thought. If you can't think logically to solve problems, all the technical proficiency in the world with a particular language or OS is of virtually no use.

Some of us have grave misgivings about the business practices of certain purveyors of certain OSes, but the OSes themselves should not be subject to visitation of the "sins" of their "fathers." One OS is no more or less worthy than any another. The people who design and implement those OSes are just hard working stiffs like us trying to feed their kids and put them through college.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a course or entire department curriculum that uses a particular OS in order to standardize the base over which all courses are taught. That's just an exercise in efficiency and common standards of the evaluation of students' progress. If they are worth their salt, institutions are teaching beyond language and OS anyway. The languages and OSes are a vehicle, not an end.

But there is certainly something to be said for using something that, let's be frank, will probably be used by 90% of graduates.

Be pragmatic. Suck it up. And study other languages and OSes as you have time to.

HermanAB
September 16th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Just make a proper virtual machine for whatever they require and be done with it.

I use a Windows XP VM that I made way back yoinks for all my Windows stuff. Whenever I stand up a new machine, I just copy the VM over.

Triblaze
September 17th, 2012, 04:25 AM
I've been in college for 3 weeks now (Hopkins, CS major), and I've been pleasantly surprised. At the first computer science seminar, the professors pretty much said "we use Linux here, most of our machines use Fedora, you'll get an account on that. You can get a Windows one if you want, but it's more limited. Oh, and try installing Ubuntu on your laptops, here's how to do that".

I was pretty damn happy. Also, I checked out the computing club on the campus, and their first meeting was a presentation on how to contribute to Open Source.

I'm going to like it here.

Welly Wu
September 17th, 2012, 11:57 PM
I was a Masters of Science in IT Administration and Security degree candidate at New Jersey Institute of Technology in Newark, New Jersey a few years ago and they absolutely required that I purchase a new PC that is Microsoft Windows 7 certified and it met their university computing requirements.

I dropped out of NJIT due to the fact that I lacked the proper bachelor of science degree previously.

I am well on my way to becoming a Masters of Arts in English with Writing Studies concentration degree candidate at Montclair State University or Kean University in New Jersey. They have no specific PC hardware or software requirements whatsoever because it is a creative arts degree program. I already conferred with the IT department and the graduate academic advisor at both universities to confirm my information.

I have a System76 Lemur Ultra Thin (lemu4) with Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit Long Term Service. I also have VM Ware Workstation 9.0.0 64 bit with Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit Service Pack 1 in a 64 bit 50.00 GB guest virtual machine. I also have Microsoft Office 2010 32 bit Professional Plus Service Pack 1. Finally, I have Codeweavers' CrossOver for Linux 11.2.1 64 bit so that I can install Microsoft Windows 7 software applications and use them within Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit LTS without requiring a genuine Microsoft Windows 7 license.

So yeah, I got all of my requirements covered.

Most of my time will be downloading Adobe .PDF electronic textbooks to teach me how to teach creative writing to undergraduate and graduate students when I land a full time position as an adjunct English professor at a local community college after I earn my degree. I will also need to download Adobe .PDF or Amazon Kindle e-books from major authors and poets for each specific graduate course so that we can perform literary comparisons and analysis. I expect to write a lot of academic papers so I can use LibreOffice or Microsoft Word 2010 and I will be required to use the Modern Language Association format to cite sources within my papers. I also expect to use the online Black Board system to keep up to date with each specific graduate course and to confer with my professors and my fellow graduate students. I may need to print hard copies of my final drafts of my papers, but I can use the computer laboratories on campus. None of these requirements or tasks requires Microsoft Windows 7 as a strict requirement. I can use Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit LTS and Mozilla Firefox as an alternative. None of my course work requires that I use Microsoft Windows Internet Explorer 9 or 10 as a hard requirement either.

Technical institutions and degree programs are expensive and they have hard and strict requirements and rules that students and faculty need to be compliant with in order to complete the degree in my experience. NJIT is a Microsoft partner and they can produce genuine product keys and licenses for an array of Microsoft software products for their students, faculty, and staff.

I plan to upgrade to Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit on October 26th, 2012. My father plans to upgrade as well. I am looking forward to it because of the enhanced speed and security features alone and it will only cost each of us just $39.99 USD per computer to upgrade. It will breathe new life into my father's older Sony Vaio notebook PC and it will be lightning fast on my new System76 Lemur Ultra Thin (lemu4) notebook PC. Windows 8 Pro 64 bit will be the most secure general purpose operating system produced by Microsoft Corporation in its history. It will eliminate the need for expensive third-party software security products altogether which will save me time and money in the next three years. However, I still do plan to renew my BitDefender Total Security 2013 or I will upgrade to BitDefender Sphere 2014 next year.

Creative arts degrees especially in language and literature are more liberal literally speaking in terms of their PC hardware and software requirements. They are also less expensive to complete and they require much less software products to be used throughout the curriculum.

I plan to live on campus so that should be a new chapter in my life. I only need to purchase Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit and an Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit LTS compatible ink-jet printer with separate color ink cartridges and a high capacity black ink cartridge before the end of 2012 and I will be good to go for my first spring semester in January 2013.