PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu? but not windows???

Krayzieness
September 14th, 2012, 05:21 PM
ok so i bought a brand new hp probook 4530s. core i3, 500gb, hdmi, 4gb ram, the whole nine. had it about 3 weeks. spilled a mixture of corn juice and butter on it. after that windows wouldnt fully load up. the glowing orbs would very very slowly swirl around into the windows logo. and would freeze. wasn't covered under my warranty. sat for months. put ubuntu 11.04 on my desktop and had a hunch to try it on my laptop. and it is from my laptop which i am posting this thread. so my question is does any one know why this is? and i've attempted to re-install win 7 many times to no avail.

Mark Phelps
September 14th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Not much to go on regarding details ... so you're asking us all to guess ...

As to why you could get Ubuntu to work after it sat for months, my guess would be that the spilled liquid dried out and, fortunately, the residue was nonconductive.

As to slow booting of Win7, that typically indicates hard drive faults, but since that is sealed, your spill would have nothing to do with that. Maybe during startup, it was running keyboard checks and parts of your keyboard circuit pad were shorting out. Who know -- lots of guessing, here?

Have you tried installing Win7 since you got Ubuntu loaded? If so, rather than saying "to no avail", if you really want help in that, you should tell us what DOES happen -- how far it gets, what you see on-screen, what error messages are shown, etc.