PDA

View Full Version : Beside Ubuntus which other distros valve/steam would support their games?

icett
September 13th, 2012, 11:32 PM
As you know Valve/Steam are busy these days to port their games to Linux and the first distro they are going to support their games would be Ubuntu as well as other buntus and Ubuntu based distros. But they say that they would also be supporting their games for other Linux distros. Which other Linux distros you think valve/steam would most likely provide support for their games? In my view the first one most likely would be Debian (stable), thereafter Fedora, Mageia, Opensuse..... What you think? There are also rumors that valve/steam may develop their own Linux distro for their games or they may develop their own hardware for their games. I personally believe valve/steam would most likely develop their own Linux OS with cooperation from the many disgruntled MS OEMs which they together may introduce in competition to MS Windows 8! :)

Lucradia
September 14th, 2012, 12:52 AM
If it's ported to one Linux distro, it's ported to all of them. ubuntu is based on Debian by the way.

Support on the other hand, is another story.

Primefalcon
September 14th, 2012, 01:42 AM
If it's ported to one Linux distro, it's ported to all of them. ubuntu is based on Debian by the way.

They're only supporting Ubuntu apparently at launch... not all that surprising really considering Ubuntu probally has 9 times more marketshare than all the other Linux distro's combined

mevun
September 14th, 2012, 02:14 AM

I guess "ported" in the usual sense of just compilation might be true for almost any Linux, but not in the sense of installation with the default package manager for a distro. Maybe that is what you mean by "support", but I usually think of "support" as being if you call them up, can they help you fix your problem.

kostkon
September 14th, 2012, 02:33 AM
They're only supporting Ubuntu apparently at launch... not all that surprising really considering Ubuntu probally has 9 times more marketshare than all the other Linux distro's combined
And because it's a real consumer Desktop OS that obviously is also backed by a company (please don't mention Fedora, it isn't).

vexorian
September 14th, 2012, 05:00 AM

It is really not that simple. With open source software that's often the case, because it is easy for packagers in other distros to adapt whatever happened to the original game to work in the new distro.

But with proprietary, small things like how it is linked could make it very difficult to adapt a game from Valve to any other distro. Some of the distros which use similar package methods (debian) or similarly full stacks (Fedora) might have it easier than others. But the more different a distribution is to ubuntu, the harder will be to port a proprietary game. Unless valve are planning something like a FOSS wrapper library that could itself be ported as a bridge and then the game would run on the wrapper.

Primefalcon
September 14th, 2012, 05:47 AM
And because it's a real consumer Desktop OS that obviously is also backed by a company (please don't mention Fedora, it isn't).
The comparison there would be red hat... but lets face it, thats not aimed at your typical home users either

mips
September 14th, 2012, 07:33 AM
I suspect it will work on all Ubuntu versions (K/L/Xubuntu) and most distros based on ubuntu and maybe Debian & Debian based distros.

Jakin
September 14th, 2012, 07:39 AM
I suspect it will work on all Ubuntu versions (K/L/Xubuntu) and most distros based on ubuntu and maybe Debian & Debian based distros.

I believe that too. In the beginning atleast, something Debian is best bet. Certainly it would be available for other linux distro's overtime, though.

Primefalcon
September 14th, 2012, 07:56 AM
I believe that too. In the beginning atleast, something Debian is best bet. Certainly it would be available for other linux distro's overtime, though.
I bet for sure 100% it'll work on any Ubuntu derivitives such as mint... and around 70% sure it'll work on debian based ones... (thing is it could be reliant on stuff ubuntu specific packages, who knows until it lands)

forrestcupp
September 14th, 2012, 12:18 PM
It is really not that simple. With open source software that's often the case, because it is easy for packagers in other distros to adapt whatever happened to the original game to work in the new distro.

But with proprietary, small things like how it is linked could make it very difficult to adapt a game from Valve to any other distro. Some of the distros which use similar package methods (debian) or similarly full stacks (Fedora) might have it easier than others. But the more different a distribution is to ubuntu, the harder will be to port a proprietary game. Unless valve are planning something like a FOSS wrapper library that could itself be ported as a bridge and then the game would run on the wrapper.
That's exactly what I was thinking. It's a lot harder to package proprietary things to work in other distros. The good thing is that you only have to get Steam to work with other distros. I'm sure the games themselves will be distro agnostic and their installation will be handled by Steam.

I kind of wish that they would just make a binary and dependency installer, like the old Loki ones, that installs it all to /home or /opt so they wouldn't have to worry about distros.

Lucradia
September 14th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Deb + Alien = RPM.

Bam, done.

vexorian
September 14th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Deb + Alien = RPM.

Bam, done.
Assuming valve distributes in .deb.

And if there is a dependency that is not portable, it would still not work.

We are talking about a proprietary games giant. It could even be against the ToS to port to another system.

forrestcupp
September 14th, 2012, 10:19 PM
They're just starting with Ubuntu. It won't be that long before they have rpm versions out.

vexorian
September 14th, 2012, 11:00 PM
How do we know that?

fontis
September 14th, 2012, 11:25 PM
How do we know that?

Because they said so themselves? :)

Why Ubuntu? There are a couple of reasons for that. First, we’re just starting development and working with a single distribution is critical when you are experimenting, as we are. It reduces the variability of the testing space and makes early iteration easier and faster. Secondly, Ubuntu is a popular distribution and has recognition with the general gaming and developer communities. This doesn’t mean that Ubuntu will be the only distribution we support. Based on the success of our efforts around Ubuntu, we will look at supporting other distributions in the future.

Taken from the Valve Linux blog (http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/).

vexorian
September 14th, 2012, 11:37 PM
"Based on the success of our efforts around Ubuntu".

fontis
September 15th, 2012, 01:51 AM
"Based on the success of our efforts around Ubuntu".

Well yes, that is a fairly obvious statement isn't it?
I mean, if the biggest "market" attracts no success then why would they bother with continuing?

Assuming things go as we, and they, expect them to - the other distros should get their love with time.

doorknob60
September 15th, 2012, 02:20 AM
It should theoretically work (with some tweaking) on any distro. I've never seen anything made for Ubuntu that can't be made to work on Arch. Sure, it usually involves extracting the .deb file and installing a few different versions of libraries, but it's very doable, and easily made into an AUR package for easy installation. It just means they won't officially support it at first, which is smart. They don't want to have to worry about some obscure problem with Bill's Ultimate Linux 4.52, they want to just focus one one until everything works. I'm not worried.

Primefalcon
September 15th, 2012, 03:18 AM
It should theoretically work (with some tweaking) on any distro. I've never seen anything made for Ubuntu that can't be made to work on Arch. Sure, it usually involves extracting the .deb file and installing a few different versions of libraries, but it's very doable, and easily made into an AUR package for easy installation. It just means they won't officially support it at first, which is smart. They don't want to have to worry about some obscure problem with Bill's Ultimate Linux 4.52, they want to just focus one one until everything works. I'm not worried.
you can even do the same with the runescape gaming client... etract the msi file.... modify thelauncher to use your java executable and bang.. you have a native linux client that was designed for windows

vexorian
September 15th, 2012, 06:51 AM
It would surely be nice if valve distributed their games in deb files. But that's not certain yet.

Well yes, that is a fairly obvious statement isn't it?
I mean, if the biggest "market" attracts no success then why would they bother with continuing?

Assuming things go as we, and they, expect them to - the other distros should get their love with time.
Yes. But we do not know yet if there will be enough a success to warrant that.

Even if it is very successful in ubuntu, I guess that the next step will still be exploratory, they will pick another popular distro and experiment. It will be a long time before they support many distributions.

And we do not know for sure if the other distros they pick next will be rpm based.

you can even do the same with the runescape gaming client... etract the msi file.... modify thelauncher to use your java executable and bang.. you have a native linux client that was designed for windows If it is java then it is not native in neither windows or Linux.

forrestcupp
September 15th, 2012, 01:44 PM
And we do not know for sure if the other distros they pick next will be rpm based.

The very next one will probably still be deb based, but I'll bet that Fedora won't be far down the list.