PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] my previous post "root pass word changed"

tommyatkins
September 13th, 2012, 06:10 PM
All,

I have found a work around for my problem. I can log in to all users using the gui login page Except the administrators login which on my screen shows as Thomas S. Atkins and not the real name tommy1.
step one: ctrl alt F1
next log in as tommy1

run sudo service gdm start

this opens up my tommy1 GUI page and everything goes fine from there.

I still would like to know how to correct the GUI login page.

If I go to F7 with out running the service command I just get the login menu which is exactly the same as when I started and I still can not open the Thomas S. Atkins entry.

My thanks to all who helped me with my original post and any suggestions on how to correct the GUI login page will be appreciated.

tommyatkins
September 14th, 2012, 05:26 PM
All,

I have found a work around for my problem. I can log in to all users using the gui login page Except the administrators login which on my screen shows as Thomas S. Atkins and not the real name tommy1.
step one: ctrl alt F1
next log in as tommy1

run sudo service gdm start

this opens up my tommy1 GUI page and everything goes fine from there.

I still would like to know how to correct the GUI login page.

If I go to F7 with out running the service command I just get the login menu which is exactly the same as when I started and I still can not open the Thomas S. Atkins entry.

My thanks to all who helped me with my original post and any suggestions on how to correct the GUI login page will be appreciated.
Now I have a new problem NO SOUND!!!
I have tried everything I could find on this site with no result.
I am now thinking I will go back to 10.04 where I had no problems. I have a backed up version of /home which is up to date just before I tried to up date to 12.04. If I just install it formating sda1 not formating sda2 (/home) I don't think I will have any problems. can any of you see where this will be a big mistake?