PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with Commands

bangalo
September 13th, 2012, 05:27 PM
First of all i want to ask how do i do a pipe symbol in ubuntu terminal on Icelandic keyboard ive tryd everything but i cant get it.

Second, im supposed to write a command that shows all the files and folders that were created in September using ls grep and piping and explain how the command works ( wich i could do my self if i knew how to do the command. ) but since i cant even do a pipe i dont know how to do this.

Hope someone here can help, it would be well appreciated.

thanks

GreatDanton
September 13th, 2012, 05:38 PM
To look for pipe symbol go under: System settings/Keyboard layout. After that click on the little keyboard at left bottom part of the window. It will open up a picture of your keyboard, and check on which key you have pipe symbol. For example I get pipe with alt gr + W (not Icelandic keyboard).

Another workaround is to add English layout and you can get pipe with altgr + <. Unfortunately I don't know how icelandic keyboard look like.

Regards.

Lars Noodén
September 13th, 2012, 05:39 PM
The pipe can be similar to some of the other Scandinavian layouts. There should be a key to the left of the Z (http://www.google.fi/search?q=icelandic+keyboard+layout&hl=en&client=ubuntu&hs=Mvs&channel=cs&prmd=imvnsa&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ) key with the greater (>) and less than (<) symbols. Is that what your keyboard has?

Press alt-gr (the right-hand Alt key) plus that key to get the pipe.

bangalo
September 13th, 2012, 05:57 PM
thanks lars got it :) thought i had already tryd that but guess i hadnt so thanks alot ;)