PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] launcher disappeared in unity 3D

Slates
September 13th, 2012, 04:19 AM
I fear this to be an elementary question, but Ill take the hit just to get some help!

Short story : using Ubuntu 12.4, launcher, compiz - all good. Control left mouse stopped working, after much research I removed compiz, ran up 2D session, all good.

But now logging back on to a Unity 3D session, my launcher bar (on the left) has gone. So has the Unity plugin in Compiz. Im back with the Applications/Places dropdowns on the top bar, and the active windows on the bottom (Windows style).

I confess I was in the middle of some code development, and I havent paid too much attention to the desktop environment - but Im baffled as to ahy I dont have my launcher any more, nore can I access any setting it seems to bring it back.

Im thinking my removal of compiz has gone too far and I need to add something back in ..... can anyone please enlighten me?

PaulInBHC
September 13th, 2012, 04:23 AM
Happens to a lot of people for different reasons.

Try some of the suggestions here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2055955

or reinstall if all fails.

Slates
September 13th, 2012, 05:51 AM
Try some of the suggestions here

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2055955

or reinstall if all fails.

Thankyou for that. The re-install revealed missing components, which brought back the taskbar but (infuriatingly!) brought back the missing ctl left mouse functionality, or lack thereof. Some of the other shortcuts were also then missing, like ctl alt right arrow.

Next the unity --reset seemed to resolve both issues!

My thanks for the link. I confess "Google is your friend" does pain me, it is if you know the correct search string - cl;early your skills are better than mine in that area asyou have found the link to solve my problem which Id been googling and wrestling with for around an hour !

Thanks again :p

PaulInBHC
September 13th, 2012, 06:07 AM
LOL I didn't google it, I posted in that thread and just scrolled through till I found it.

Sorry that so many are having this problem and no easy fix.

markbl
September 13th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Sorry that so many are having this problem and no easy fix.
"unity --reset" not easy enough for you?!

PaulInBHC
September 13th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Easy yes, work no. Nor did any other terminal commands. Read the thread linked.