PDA

View Full Version : 12.04 server install hangs on "detecting network hardware"

tquinn10
September 12th, 2012, 07:08 PM
The hardware is
HP DL385 2200
Dual Dual-Core Opteron 2.0 Ghz, 2GB, 80GB SCSI HD

Each time when I get to the part of the wizard that says "detecting network hardware" it zips through it and just hangs.

I have tried to install with and without the internet cable.

I have tried reburning the CD several times, both at default speed and slower (8x)

I have tried the USB stick install and it hangs at the same spot.

I can successfully install Windows Server 2003, so I do not think it is a hardware problem.

Any ideas?

Ubunterrific
September 12th, 2012, 07:20 PM
The hardware is
HP DL385 2200
Dual Dual-Core Opteron 2.0 Ghz, 2GB, 80GB SCSI HD

Each time when I get to the part of the wizard that says "detecting network hardware" it zips through it and just hangs.

I have tried to install with and without the internet cable.

I have tried reburning the CD several times, both at default speed and slower (8x)

I have tried the USB stick install and it hangs at the same spot.

I can successfully install Windows Server 2003, so I do not think it is a hardware problem.

Any ideas?

It might be RAID related?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1326678 comment 5 has a suggestion which looks to have solved a similar issue?

tquinn10
September 13th, 2012, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, but it did not work. I tried a few different combinations of the arguments, but it still hangs on the detecting network hardware.

Although the machine has SCSI, I do not think it has RAID. At boot up Smart Array is mentioned, but I do not see how anything with storage could be hanging the detection of network hardware.

Thanks for the idea, anyway. Currently I will build it as WS2003, get all the updates, and then try the Ubuntu install again.

tquinn10
September 13th, 2012, 06:28 PM
This is an update for anyone that might be interested.

The Windows 2003 installed and updated without issue.

The next thing I tried was installing Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit Desktop; it installed and updated without issue.

Then I tried Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit Desktop; it returned a command prompt logged in as root@ubuntu with a message saying ctrl -D will reboot the machine. When I rebooted, got the blank screen.

Next, I am going to try installing 12.04 32-bit server.. I bet it works.