PDA

View Full Version : 1 gigabit Internet speed.

irv
September 12th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Faster internet is coming. I believe little by little we are we will see more and more faster Internet speeds.
I am located in a very small town, but I have 25 megabits per second, which I think is very fast compared to other areas. But this was article in the News today.
Google Set to Offer Fastest U.S. Internet Service in Kansas City (http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-09-12/google-set-to-offer-fastest-u-dot-s-dot-internet-service-in-kansas-city)

The system will provide online speeds of 1 gigabit per second, about a hundred times faster than the average U.S. connection, along with television programming. Google said on Sept. 9 that at least 180 out of 202 neighborhoods in the Kansas City area have qualified for the project, which will only go into areas where residents have requested the service.

robtygart
September 12th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I am too far from my phone/Internet station, so I am not getting my full speed, the phone guy says there is nothing they can do about it :^o. If I did get the full speed I should be I would be at 1.5Mb, I think I am 0.85, the plans go up to 40mb. Even 25mb would be nice.

irv
September 12th, 2012, 04:21 PM
I am too far from my phone/Internet station, so I am not getting my full speed, the phone guy says there is nothing they can do about it :^o. If I did get the full speed I should be I would be at 1.5Mb, I think I am 0.85, the plans go up to 40mb. Even 25mb would be nice.

I hope this faster internet will boost my speed too. I live a little far out.

That is the bad thing about living in a remote area. I have one son who lives is a remote spot where he can't even get cell service and his Internet is done by using transmitter/receiver radio signals. I used this technology before getting fiber. I went from 1.5 to 25 meg connection.
It sounds like you are not going much faster then dialup.

robtygart
September 12th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Dial up is only 56k and my connection always was at 40k area. I am in the mid 80s now. I think if they would do some upgrades to the phone station, things would pick up.

Vinton90
September 12th, 2012, 04:36 PM
My terminal is telling me (through nload) that I am reaching an average of 602.48 Kbits/s. I don't believe this is right but I'm not an expert. What I do know is that 1GB sounds amazing.

I do agree with you both though about rural areas, the town I live in isn't rural per se but we are the "hub" for the other towns around us. We are supposed to have all of the best connections and signals available but I have cell phone service through a major company that like black and pink motorcycles and my service dies all of the time. I will be out in the middle of the town near several towers and loose my signal and network. What I'm looking forward to isn't necessarily faster, and larger speeds but consistent and trustworthy good speeds.

afulldeck
September 12th, 2012, 04:44 PM
I'm hoping that Google will kick some telco "butt" with this move. Many of us, want and really need higher speed and no caps, in the suburbs, in the cities and in the rural places. What I don't think folks have come to realize is that the benefits of high speed internet is not just high speed data, but really a high speed economy. Our economy is no longer simply physical manufacturing but it is about knowledge manufacturing including idea seeding, copying, modifying and indeed idea evolution. The faster we have access to data of all sorts the more likely we will see advantages in our economy.

mips
September 12th, 2012, 07:10 PM
/clicks his heals together three times and wishes he could be in Kansas...

mips
September 12th, 2012, 07:14 PM
... the phone guy says there is nothing they can do about it :^o.

In theory & practice there is but it would require capital outlay. They could drop a equipment closest on a street corner that contains a dslam/msan with fiber backhaul to the exchange but that's gonna cost money.

irv
September 12th, 2012, 08:08 PM
There are companies all over that are popping up and offering High-Speed Internet. In my area there is a company I supported for years because they were moving in that direction. A few years ago they wired the whole town with fiber and now many of us have high speed everything, TV, Phone, and Internet. I love it for streaming movies over the Internet. Without this fiber it would be slow going. I am please with my server and expect it to get even better.

Vinton90
September 13th, 2012, 05:55 AM
A few years ago they wired the whole town with fiber and now many of us have high speed everything.

Ooh! Now I'm jealous. :D

I also liked what afulldeck said about the affect that slow internet speeds and caps have on the economy. This is definitely true where I live; I believe that more people in my area would try creating their own income and businesses if they had a better connection to the "outside world."

vexorian
September 13th, 2012, 06:07 AM
Dear guys.

My internet speed is 192kbps. And it is ADSL not dialup. So no justification.

You may stop complaining about yours :)

sandyd
September 13th, 2012, 06:09 AM
There are companies all over that are popping up and offering High-Speed Internet. In my area there is a company I supported for years because they were moving in that direction. A few years ago they wired the whole town with fiber and now many of us have high speed everything, TV, Phone, and Internet. I love it for streaming movies over the Internet. Without this fiber it would be slow going. I am please with my server and expect it to get even better.There is no fiber to the house though.

The fiber reaches hubs in the street, and they are distributed that way.

However, you can already get fiber if you live downtown, or close to a (metro) fiber ring. If you are, you can get multihomed drops. Depending if you want multi-homed or not, there are some providers who offer pre-mixed bandwidth, with peering exchanges.

We have Level(3) and Cogent here.

Artemis3
September 13th, 2012, 01:10 PM

It's certainly not a problem of the "last mile" technology used. ADSL was originally limited to about 4km distance, but the telco can switch equipment to adsl2 and this distance is increased to about 7km (this is copper wire length from your modem to dslam), with a max of 5mbps download or even more with adsl2+; still using the same old copper telephone wire...

Please remember adsl is prone to interference, you should triple check your connections, old wiring inside your house could cause a lot of trouble, or putting the modem close to a voltage regulator etc.

Obviously if fiber is deployed things are easier. It doesn't matter if they don't run the fiber inside your home, they could use a transceiver outside and run a cat6 instead, you still have a 100m distance before worrying about it (just try not to run it alongside power will you? :)

BTW you could use something like speedtest.net to test your actual speed.

SlugSlug
September 13th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Dear guys.

My internet speed is 192kbps. And it is ADSL not dialup. So no justification.

You may stop complaining about yours :)

brings a tear to my eye :'(

Jakin
September 13th, 2012, 01:56 PM
I read that story about kansas city 1gigabit internet google test bed about 2 months back.. I read in awe, and started thinking how cool it would be- then it said the average customer price.

@vexorian, i had 768kbps ADSL some years back, and THAT was painfully slow, can't imagine 192kbps.. :'(

irv
September 13th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Just for the record sandyd, I do have fiber to the house. And I guess I get the speed I do because there is only two houses on my connection box, and my neighbor is working every night so I am the only one online. I couldn't ask for a better setup. At the moment I am in a hotel room with a slow connection. Boy am I spoiled.

vexorian
September 13th, 2012, 06:56 PM
I read that story about kansas city 1gigabit internet google test bed about 2 months back.. I read in awe, and started thinking how cool it would be- then it said the average customer price.

@vexorian, i had 768kbps ADSL some years back, and THAT was painfully slow, can't imagine 192kbps.. :'(

It is not that bad. Most internets around here are as slow or slower, so I never experienced something much faster than it. I pay a fixed monthly bill no matter how much I download. And as long as jdownloader can download webm directly from youtube (so I don't have to suffer because of streaming) it is going to be fine.

1 gbps sounds like sci fi to me.

irv
September 13th, 2012, 07:35 PM
It is not that bad. Most internets around here are as slow or slower, so I never experienced something much faster than it. I pay a fixed monthly bill no matter how much I download. And as long as jdownloader can download webm directly from youtube (so I don't have to suffer because of streaming) it is going to be fine.

1 gbps sounds like sci fi to me.

Today's science fiction is tomorrow reality.
I don't think the price is out of line, For TV, Phone and Internet, and that is for 25 mg Internet my cost is around $130 per month. That also includes 2 set-top boxes with 5 TV's Sony Blu-Ray and a Roku box, and many of them going at the same time.

Old_Grey_Wolf
September 14th, 2012, 12:42 AM
I have a 50 Mbps Internet connection. Most websites can't keep up with that speed. I also have TV service on that line. When my wife, children, grandchildren, and myself start to see a slowdown when we are on the Internet or watching TV at the same time, I will concider updrading to something faster if I can afford to do so.

irv
September 14th, 2012, 03:11 PM
My slowest time is in the morning. Maybe it is because everyone is opening for business or everyone in town are checking their email and facebook?
Here is want I get on Speakeasy Speedtest. Normal it is 25 mbps.