PDA

View Full Version : Handbooks or lack thereof !

chris.olive
September 11th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Dear All
Am I the only person in the world who hates downloadable handbooks?
these are OK if for a simple bit of kit.
But for a high level piece of equipment are a pain, for instance I bought a Yamaha YSP 2200 speaker system no hand book of course, I could print out page after page and bind them, but why should I!
On a 700 bit of kit how much would a hand book cost? Now I could sit on a stool in front of it with a laptop/tablet balanced on my lap [and that could prove costly] looking up and down whilst hunting through pages and pushing buttons.
I should not need to do that, I would prefer to sit in my arm chair with the book and read it through several times then settle down to arrange matters how I want.
S I will dump this thing which by the way does not seem to work to well, lack of set-up?? and go back to separate speakers and Amp.
Sorry for this rant but I am fed up with such meaness.

12th September 2012
Interesting reply's! Just to be clear I have a Kindle [love it] an Asus TF101 Samsung Galaxy S2 and an I pod plus a fairly well spec'ed HP laptop [Win 7 and Ubuntu] and Kindle app on all of these with my books, but I still buy books and just like to sit and read handbooks at odd times, I find this is the best way to absorb to details, if any of you have tried to remember say all the information involved with a highish DSLR you will know what I mean, besides the book is small, light and easy to refer too should you need to whilst using the gadget.

philinux
September 11th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I like pdf manuals. I can read them on my smart phone or laptop. And a bIg plus is the search function. And it saves a few trees.

Majorix
September 11th, 2012, 06:21 PM
I am all for e-books. Saves trees and a lot of space!

HermanAB
September 11th, 2012, 07:26 PM
You just have the wrong tools. Maybe install xournal and pdfshuffler, since then you can extract pages and mark them up, much better than on a dead tree - and why can't you sit in an armchair with a laptop computer?

majabl
September 11th, 2012, 09:20 PM
I'm with you! PDF manuals are great as a SUPPLEMENT to a decent hardcopy, but I still like to have something physical I can refer to when I buy a new piece of equipment.

How long before cars cease to come with a handbook but instead have a link to the PDF?

Vinton90
September 12th, 2012, 12:25 AM
I personally prefer the ebooks/pdfs because then I can carry around a lot of manuals, guides and magazines on my Kindle or on my laptop but I do understand what you mean. I still purchase books in print format because I love to be surrounded by books, and because I will continue to add to my collection until I leave this rock. But, I think it's just the way that the world is going now. I worked in a book store for years and it took me a while before I bought an e-reader, now that I have one I love it. I think that there are some manuals that are difficult to follow on the Kindle (or whatever you use) but it's so much easier than carrying five or six "linux bibles" and command guides and programming books everywhere that I go.

Just my thoughts.

spaceshipguy
September 12th, 2012, 01:23 AM
PDF, or some other less nasty format, rather than dead trees from me too. It's great to have your handbook on your mobile phone to read on the bus.
Probably not great for the eyes though.
I learned a bunch about GIMP by putting the manual on my phone and reading it as and when I got the time.

robert shearer
September 12th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Hey now, stop over-egging the custard...

PDF, or some other less nasty format, rather than dead trees

I am all for e-books. Saves trees

I like pdf manuals. I can read them on my smart phone or laptop. And a bIg plus is the search function. And it saves a few trees.

1) It is books-per-tree not trees-per-book :-)

2) What about all the carbon needed to make and run your favourite readers ?

3) Books are made from trees, often from sustainably managed plantations.
When they reach the end of their lives they can rot and return to the soil.

Kindles et al are made from petroleum products and precious and non precious metals all of which have huge extraction costs and are from a finite resource.
When your kindle dies it will most likely pollute a third-world country and its inhabitants as they try to recover the recyclables.

Electronic files are efficient agreed, but do follow the money and see who it is benefits most...
Manufacturers and retailers continue to increase profits whilst reducing content and e-user-manuals for technology is an easy sell eh..?
They have just offloaded the physical cost of the manual to you then sold you something to read it on and pocketed the difference. ;)

and for anyone interested exploring this...
http://www.ecolibris.net/ebooks.asp