PDA

View Full Version : openSUSE and ubuntu problems conflicts in Dual boot

Chogan
September 10th, 2012, 09:08 AM
i love both ubuntu and openSUSE, So i tried to install them in one machine. in first attempt
i first installed openSUSE 12.2 and then installed ubuntu 12.04 alongside it in another partition. after this, i lose openSUSE boot splash.
i thought it is because ubuntu 12.04 uses grub 1.99 and openSUSE 12.2 uses grub 2 so in second attempt i installed again both of them. this time i first installed ubuntu (because it uses grub 1.99) and then installed opensuse. every thing is ok about grub and boot splash for both distros BUT:
ubuntu is ok but when i want to boot openSUSE its splash is ok but when it comes to login screen, page graphic completely become corrupted. in this corrupted page i can see some colors that are similar to ubuntu theme (also if i restart my laptop from ubuntu to boot openSUSE, sometimes it shows last opened page in ubuntu but with corrupted graphic!!!). i think opensuse combine or admix some files from ubuntu partition that cause this problem. i also take a film with my phone about this problem that is followed.
please help me about this strange problem.
film:
http://youtu.be/lpISFoCtTHY
or
http://www.aparat.com/v/f9Vjw

andresnm29
November 23rd, 2012, 10:23 PM
I have the same problem. I did not find information about it and hopefully some answers in this thread

andresnm29
November 23rd, 2012, 10:27 PM
I can boot into recovery mode opensuse and not corrupt the graphic display. But do not know why this problem occurs

Chogan
December 26th, 2012, 08:25 AM
it seems there is not any solution for this problem. however i uninstalled openSUSE and i have only ubuntu in my laptop now.

fantab
December 26th, 2012, 01:45 PM
AFAIK both distros use Grub2 despite the version number. I don't think the problem you are have has anything to do with grub.

Please check the OpenSuse issue on its forums, you might find a solution there. The problem with Opensuse looks like some issue with KDM... so explore issues with KDM.

Good Luck.

Chogan
December 26th, 2012, 07:03 PM
thank you. i am using ubuntu right now and i'm happy with it.