PDA

View Full Version : Why not to buy an Alienware!

Deaf_Head
June 28th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Hey, I haven't been around lately because ... well .. I haven't really had a computer to use ubuntu on.

Alienware has really screwed me around ... if you are thinking about getting one, or somebody who is ... you should read what I've been going through with them.

http://alienwareproblems.blogspot.com/

Oh, and if by chance your a digg user .. I'd appreciate the ++ heh.
http://digg.com/hardware/Alienware_Support,_worthy_of_PriceRitePhoto

Oh, and hows drake? I haven't been able to use it at all ...

Harold P
June 28th, 2006, 09:21 PM
dugg.

that sucks bro. :(

Doesn't Dell own them?

digimars
June 28th, 2006, 09:34 PM
You should report those idiots to the Better Business Bureau. You have a well documented account of your troubles.

Here is their link. (http://www.bbb.org/)

Deaf_Head
June 28th, 2006, 09:36 PM
dugg.

that sucks bro. :(

Doesn't Dell own them?

According to what I've read the deal isn't 100% finalized. Eitherway though, AW is going to remain autonomous. And yeah it sucks, but there are plenty of people out there with much worse problems. I've been talking to a guy who has sent his back 12 times over 8 months or so.

Deaf_Head
June 28th, 2006, 09:38 PM
You should report those idiots to the Better Business Bureau. You have a well documented account of your troubles.

Here is their link. (http://www.bbb.org/)

I did last Friday. AW hasn't gotten back to me yet.

John.Michael.Kane
June 28th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Deaf_Head sorry this has happened to you. I hope your able to work this out. also heres a site the also deals with Alienware (http://www.notebookforums.com/)

digimars from what i read alienware has been reported numorous times to bbb.

Sidenote: this one reason why some laptop users buy whitebox notebooks, and build their own.

Deaf_Head
June 28th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Deaf_Head sorry this has happened to you. I hope your able to work this out. also heres a site the also deals with Alienware (http://www.notebookforums.com/)

digimars from what i read alienware has been reported numorous times to bbb.

Sidenote: this one reason why some laptop users buy whitebox notebooks, and build their own.

NOTEBOOKFORUMS.COM IS TERRIBLE. They have AW reps that semi regularly look at the site ... so moderators will ban you or are mark you as a troll (through the rep system) for badmouthing AW.

There are even a dozen or so fanboys who will start posting meaningless dribble the second the page fills with AW complaints to bury them.

John.Michael.Kane
June 28th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Deaf_Head Sorry did not know.shame someone has a problem they post the problem in a forum for the item, and the poster is peg a troll. t

Lord Illidan
June 28th, 2006, 09:51 PM
I distrust Alienware more than anything now. Their prices are incredible, and it's not worth paying through the nose for just a fancy paint job, when paint can get scratched so easily at home.

I prefer to roll out my own pcs. I can save the extra cash or spend them on better equipment.

Engnome
June 28th, 2006, 09:53 PM
How did the laptop function aside from all the trouble? (if you had linux on it) I guess noone here will buy one after hearing your story but I'm a little interested in knowing how it supported linux.

Stromham
June 28th, 2006, 09:56 PM
they are too damn expensive thats the problem with them, but they look cool as hell!

Deaf_Head
June 28th, 2006, 10:34 PM
they are too damn expensive thats the problem with them, but they look cool as hell!

They don't look as nice in real life as they do in advertisements.

Generally it worked well with ubuntu. USB connections acted funny, PCMCIA didn't work and neither did the sd card reader. I never tried to fix this though, so I don't know if there was a work around.

Stromham
June 28th, 2006, 10:37 PM
yea im making my own rig but untill then im using a compaq armada m700 its kinda old but it runs, 192 mb ram lol.

matthew
June 28th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Only mildly related, but I had a similar experience with Cyberpower, Inc. when my ipw2200b/g card died. It took multiple calls to the local BBB to get warranty service on a $15 part. Shameful. From now on I build my own--desktop or laptop.

I hope you get your Alienware computer situation fixed soon.

DJ_Max
June 28th, 2006, 11:21 PM
I wouldn't buy an overpriced PC like Alienware where you pay for a pretty case.

BTW, this company must have some huge balls

Alienware's later response to this was that they aren't concerned with superficial damage ...

This is what I'm talking about, huge ones

Each time I called I was told that Mr. Ruiz wasn't around or that he was too busy, or even once that no such person works for Alienware.[...] During one instance I was told Mr. Ruiz was on Vacation after only minutes earlier being told he was in a Meeting.

This story actually made me mad. I'm also sorry you had to go through this, especially since you're attending college, where money is usually tight, at least mines is.

shapht
June 29th, 2006, 01:34 AM
(Forgive the slight tangent) I wasn't aware you could build your own notebooks, though I am a DIY novice. Does anyone have links for info and/or buying parts?

DirtDawg
June 29th, 2006, 01:47 AM
Forget the BBB, they have little power. Contact the State Attorney General for either your state or, even better, the state in which Alienware is based. Feel free to explain to Alienware you are contacting the attorney general. This usually gets results pretty fast. People are confused by the BBB as they are only a reference organization.

MetalMusicAddict
June 29th, 2006, 02:21 AM
WOW. What a ordeal. I think DirtDawg has the right idea. I wonder if the new Dell ownership will change this kind of treatment.

matthew
June 29th, 2006, 08:50 AM
(Forgive the slight tangent) I wasn't aware you could build your own notebooks, though I am a DIY novice. Does anyone have links for info and/or buying parts?http://www.abs.com/diy/notebookdiy.asp (I haven't used them...)
You can also buy parts at places like NewEgg.

nocturn
June 29th, 2006, 09:18 AM
dugg it too

I hope you get their attention, I'v been down this road before many times with many companies (Asus is one of them).

Good luck!

jc87
June 29th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Deaf_Head i already posted the link at two different forums i go to:cool:

Payback is a bitch:rolleyes:

Deaf_Head
June 29th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Forget the BBB, they have little power. Contact the State Attorney General for either your state or, even better, the state in which Alienware is based. Feel free to explain to Alienware you are contacting the attorney general. This usually gets results pretty fast. People are confused by the BBB as they are only a reference organization.

I already did. Since there is already a case against AW, the Florida Attorney general is writing a letter of grievance on my behalf ... dunno if it'll help ... I hope it will.

arsenic23
June 29th, 2006, 08:54 PM
My cousin had a similar experience with Toshiba. Her mother had purchased a mid range Satellite model during one of Staples' Black Friday sales. ( Not the greatest idea in the first place but, eh. ) After a month the NIC went out of it and it was RMA'd for a motherboard replacement. It came back with the same motherboard, three times. And finally came back with a replaced motherboard that not only had a malfunctioning NIC, but also a faulty PCMCIA slot, and at some point in time during this whole thing the CPU received some pretty serious heat damage. And they kept giving them the run around like this for 2 years, waiting for their warranty to run out.

After it did, I was told this story and offered to give Toshiba one more call for them. I did not let the costumer service rep transfer me to technical support, and I did not let her talk. What I told her was that no matter how Toshiba perceived her ( my cousin's ) business with them; we saw it as thus:

“The way I see it, Toshiba has yet to deliver a working laptop to my cousin here, they have given her the run around and continuously failed to provide the support that was on the work order. No matter what you might try and tell us it can only appear to us that Toshiba is trying to sell us broken merchandise and stall the repair until the warranty runs out, which it has. So either you will replace the motherboard and CPU in this machine with NEW replacement parts or I will see to it that I receive a refund, in full, for this laptop.”

After giving a similar speech to 4 different people it was agreed that the laptop would be sent to a reputable 3rd party repair shop, and that they would install a new motherboard and processor. Despite the fact that it was now a month out of warranty. The base unit never had a problem after that. The LCD, on the other hand, blew up a month later.

----------------------
----------------------

I have similar experiences on the other side of the fence as well. Last year the small business I work for decided, against my wishes, to do work for a Texas based company that handles on site repair for various PC manufacturers. The first call I had was to replace a motherboard in a 'brand new' wide screen Toshiba notebook, this was also the last call, as I flat out refused to continue doing these kinds of things.

Upon arriving at the location, I quickly replaced the motherboard and heat sink, but based on the clients description and the behavior of the 'repaired' notebook, I could tell the thing needed a CPU as well.

“I'm sorry,” I told him, “But the company that hired me won't let me do anything that isn't on their work order, besides, we have no replacement here on site to do anything with. Just put up with it today and call tomorrow. I'll make sure they know that I don't feel the problem's fixed and more then likely I'll be out here tomorrow ( or whenever they manage to get you a new CPU ) to replace it for you. Well I got a call 3 days later that there where parts on site, and that I could go up there and fix his problem.

Surprise, surprise, no CPU. Instead I'm faced with an exact copy of the previous work order with a new ID number, a replacement motherboard, and a new heatsink. So I called up the guys I was working for.

“Whats with this? No new CPU?”
“Well we can't prove that the CPU is the problem right now.” he replied.

I told him that seeing as he felt our business was trustworthy enough to repair these machines, he should trust my judgment, send us the CPU, and save us all the time and effort of repeated visits. He pretty much told me to shut my yap and do what was on the work order, which I did. I'll tell you, though, at this point, both myself and the owner of the laptop were furious. I went back to our shop, the laptop still not functioning correctly, and called the company back. After 5 hours of me being particularly rude, they agreed to send us a CPU ( they really really didn't want to do this despite the fact that they seemed content to send us an endless supplied of motherboards ). The great thing is the only way they would send it to the guy is if our shop agreed to cover the cost of it if it failed to fix the problem. Of course, it did, the thing ran perfectly after the CPU was traded out.

Afterward, I gave a big 'I told you so' to my employer and managed to convince her to stop taking calls from aforementioned company.

----------------------
----------------------

Well, I hope if these stories weren't helpful or enlightening, they were at least amusing.

MetalMusicAddict
June 29th, 2006, 10:33 PM
arsenic23. WOW. Makes me not want to every buy from a company again. A friend just got a new Dell XPS 700 desktop thats insane. I was thinking about one also but these nightmare stories make me hesitant.

numb401
June 29th, 2006, 10:42 PM
Wow thats crazy, I was always under the impression that Alienware was a reputable company, guess not. My IBM T30 is still holding out strong despite being over 3 years old :)

Iandefor
June 29th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Hmm... I think what I might do, when I get around to buying a notebook, is just buy a whitebox... or maybe get it from Groovix or System76. This kind of jacking-around of customers is unacceptable. And I'd been under the impression that Toshiba was a good company.

brentoboy
June 29th, 2006, 11:36 PM
I bought a dell laptop and had quite a different experience.

I Hope alienware products become part of dell and not just a shootoff division, becuase my dell laptop, when I had issues with it while it was under warentee, they sent a technician out the next day to a small city in the middle of nowhere idaho, with the abnormally high resolution lcd that I needed replaced and he was done in about 20 minutes. ( I spent the extra hundred bucks on the onsite support for 2+ years)

I spent all of 10 minutes convincing the guy on the other end that I needed real support, I told him that I did hardware support for a living, and that my "desktop" monitor does work when plugged in, so it is either a dead display, or the power to the display is dead. He gave me a ticket number and sent a guy out. Havent seen a problem with it since.

Laptops: Dell
Desktops: piece together from parts that you search the chipsets out based on linux support. buy all your parts from newegg--they rock.

Wallakoala
June 30th, 2006, 12:48 AM
dugg.

Everyone should digg this, maybe it will get to the front page.

fluffington
June 30th, 2006, 03:53 AM
Hey, I haven't been around lately because ... well .. I haven't really had a computer to use ubuntu on.

Alienware has really screwed me around ... if you are thinking about getting one, or somebody who is ... you should read what I've been going through with them.

http://alienwareproblems.blogspot.com/

I used to have a Gateway tablet PC, and had trouble with them, too (shipping faulty AC adapters, cracking the case in three places and leaving loose screws rattling around near the processor when sent in for repairs, lots of hanging up, etc.). I eventually decided that it wasn't worth the time/effort/headache. If I ever get a laptop again (which I might, as I don't like being chained to my desk), it'll have a no questios asked full refund policy, and I'll try very hard to take it for a test drive before paying.

Oh, and if by chance your a digg user .. I'd appreciate the ++ heh.
http://digg.com/hardware/Alienware_Support,_worthy_of_PriceRitePhoto
I'm not a Digg user, or I would.

Oh, and hows drake? I haven't been able to use it at all ...
Better hardware support all around, a better installer, and newer versions of stuff. Otherwise, not terribly different from Breezy.

Deaf_Head
June 30th, 2006, 10:10 AM
I've heard Toshiba, HP and Compaq all have pretty lukewarm customer support. I didn't know toshiba was so terrible though .. 2 years, wow.

Dell, as bad as the things I've heard about them are ... generally the outrage I read about is minor things ... like the hardrive being reformated ... or having to be on the phone with tech support for only a couple of hours before getting an RMA. lol

This all kinda raises a good question though .. how bad is technical support for computers? and why aren't respected magzines/websites talking about it?

kripkenstein
June 30th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Deaf_head, I'm sorry to hear about all these problems - it's completely ridiculous. Good for you for taking time to create that site.

About the site, two suggestions: (1) Edit the "Links" area in the sidebar ("Edit-Me" doesn't look so cool...) (2) You misspell 'warranty' as 'warrenty' a few times.

Otherwise, nice site, and they deserve the bad publicity 100%.

Iandefor
July 3rd, 2006, 07:51 AM
I've heard Toshiba, HP and Compaq all have pretty lukewarm customer support. I didn't know toshiba was so terrible though .. 2 years, wow.

Dell, as bad as the things I've heard about them are ... generally the outrage I read about is minor things ... like the hardrive being reformated ... or having to be on the phone with tech support for only a couple of hours before getting an RMA. lol

This all kinda raises a good question though .. how bad is technical support for computers? and why aren't respected magzines/websites talking about it? Right before Mobile went under (Well... I believe it was them at least), they did a feature on tech support, but all they focused on was over-the-phone tech support, not anything like RMA's or the like. I think it'd be pretty interesting to see a more in-depth look at customer support in the industry in general.

bigchevy_666
November 4th, 2009, 07:20 PM
so just go buy the case and build it the way you want it, thats what i'm doing that way you bypass all the problems.

KiwiNZ
November 4th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Very old thread long since put to rest .

Closed