PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can I reset Ubuntu without doing a full reinstall?

hwyckoff
September 9th, 2012, 07:58 PM
A few days ago I installed Ubuntu 12 as a dual-boot with Windows 7 on an AMD64 computer. In the process of learning how to customize Ubuntu so I can run the programs I need, I noticed that some of the procedures I discovered in forums or on webpages were total failures, leaving a trail of incomplete installs or unneeded and orphaned dependencies.

One way I know to clean it up is to do a full reinstall of Ubuntu 12, but I want to avoid that if possible. One reason is that I don't want to reinvent some of the successful customizations I did manage to perform. Is there some kind of cleanup command I can use in Terminal or a graphical interface to clean up unneeded or orphaned dependencies?

Any hints or solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Bashing-om
September 10th, 2012, 01:40 AM
hwyckoff; Hi ! Welcome to the forum;

cleanups: run these in terminal (ctl+alt+t)

sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update
the use of sudo (super user) requires your pass word, will get no echo at all back to the screen (security reasons).

good reading material:

man sudo
man apt-get
A desire of mine is that you enjoy ubuntu, have questions, ask !
kindest regards <==BDQ

leclerc65
September 10th, 2012, 02:05 AM
I cloned the system (using Clonezilla) occasionally, and before any drastic modification to the system. I avoid keeping data in the home partition. It takes 3 minutes to clone the '/' partition and about 1/2 hr for the '/home' (due to .thunderbird and vboxed XP).

hwyckoff
September 10th, 2012, 06:40 AM
hwyckoff; Hi ! Welcome to the forum;

cleanups: run these in terminal (ctl+alt+t)

sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get update
the use of sudo (super user) requires your pass word, will get no echo at all back to the screen (security reasons).

good reading material:

man sudo
man apt-get
A desire of mine is that you enjoy ubuntu, have questions, ask !
kindest regards <==BDQ

This was exactly what I had in mind. Thank you very much!