PDA

View Full Version : How to contribute to FOSS

WinterMadness
September 9th, 2012, 04:59 PM
I feel like my programming skills are at the point where I can be useful to people who are making real life applications. Is there a central place to find open source projects that need help? One of the first things I imagine that I would do is bug fixing, is it common that many bugs are known, or would I be the one trying to find them and solve them? I know the latter is definitely going to happen, I just want to know how common the former is.

If I contribute a bug fix, or perhaps a feature, what is the standard way of showing my work? One major reason that I ask this is because I want to put my efforts on my resume.

Do you know of a good tutorial on this subject that can provide detailed information (I ask, because I get a lot of 10 step tutorials on google that offer very very basic advice)?

satsujinka
September 9th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Are there any bugs you've run into with the programs you use? If so that would be a great place to start (since you can reproduce the bug.)

Are there any programs you think are super cool? They probably need help. Bugs are extraordinarily common, just find the project's bug tracker and pick an easy looking bug.

You can probably just list the program and describe what you did.

randrews
September 9th, 2012, 11:39 PM
http://sourceforge.net/

GeneralZod
September 10th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Since you're a KDE user, why not pick a KDE app you like that has a bug or missing feature that bothers you and start with that? :)

d3v1150m471c
September 10th, 2012, 07:30 AM
developing software is the most thankless tasking,
nonetheless i wouldn't trade it for anything.
IMHO you should write software that you think is
interesting, if others like it, they'll use it.
expect harsh criticism, and little praise, not
that praise should be your goal. if you fix someone
elses code, try to work with the original author so
you can keep compatibility with upstream. if you
reinvent the wheel, only do so if said wheel can
be improved. other than that, good luck.

recommended reading:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy