PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Background missing after boot

garyzw
September 9th, 2012, 03:51 PM
This problem just started a few day ago. When I boot up the computer my background is not showing--I right click on the desktop select "Change Desktop Background" and the background then appears until the next boot.

youngunix
September 11th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Maybe this is a silly question, but just to make sure; is the wallpaper saved in your "Picture" (or else) folder? Try a different wallpaper and see what happens. This happened to me once due to a permission issue, so check the owner/permissions of the wallpaper.
good luck

garyzw
September 11th, 2012, 05:43 PM
I did try your suggestions but no luck. Funny thing though is when I select "Change Desktop Background" the missing background appears without me selecting it.

youngunix
September 11th, 2012, 06:15 PM
what version or distro of Ubuntu are you using?

garyzw
September 11th, 2012, 06:20 PM
I am using 12.04 Precise

youngunix
September 11th, 2012, 06:28 PM
humm, there was a strange change of how things work on precise such as; we can no longer have a different background for gdm, it sets desktop bg to gdm bg. didn't like it at first (still dont) but oh well. newy, do run a system update/upgrade and clean it. check your kernel version. btw, are you running UNITY or Gnome Shell?

garyzw
September 11th, 2012, 07:07 PM
I am running Unity alos I did a system update/upgrade and cleaned it. Even did the Unity reset-- I am thinking that best way to fix it is just to restore my back up. I did a back up using Redo Backup a few days before the problem started so that should fix it.

Thanks for you help.

fjgaude
September 11th, 2012, 08:03 PM
I must say as the updates to 12.04 have turned into 12.04.1 things have gone down.

My main box has video issues and desktop problems that just came up with the last two or so updates.

And it's LTS!