PDA

View Full Version : Changing the default password character???

OOT_In_Atlanta
September 9th, 2012, 05:38 AM
OK. I'm hoping I'm not about to lose $20.00 and a case of beer (New Castle, in case anyone cares). A friend and I have a bet about whether this can be done. I'm betting that it is possible (relatively easily, mind you). He's betting otherwise.

The bet: is it easy to change the default character that shows up when you enter a password? Initially it was thought to only be the log on to Ubuntu. But since it seems like the same character is displayed even when logging into email through a browser that it's probably one character by default.

So, is that possible or am I out money and a case of good beer?

Thanks.

coldcritter64
September 9th, 2012, 06:07 AM
Do you mean the little dots/asterisks that show up in most password boxes ?

To confuse the issue some more,:p, none of them will even show up at all in the terminal for passwords without you manually editing /etc/sudoers with "visudo". Not a good idea unless you really know what you're doing. If you mess up it can render a system unusable at least till the sudoers file is fixed.

If you do mean the standard password boxes and dots/asterisks, I'm not sure at all. But with regard to
(relatively easily, mind you) I do doubt it would be easy. Others will comment more accurately there no doubt ;). Cheers.

OOT_In_Atlanta
September 9th, 2012, 06:20 AM
Do you mean the little dots/asterisks that show up in most password boxes ?
Yep. Those are the one's. Not the nothing you see in Terminal. Something tells me my good beer is going to my friend.

Hopefully someone will chime in and tell me I'm wrong. The deal was not just that it can be done but that it can be done relatively easily. Any type of file that can be changed but shouldn't be definitely falls outside of the parameters of "easily."

*sigh*

cariboo
September 9th, 2012, 07:00 AM
This really isn't a support question.

Let's hope your buddy is a true friend, and is willing to share his newly acquired beer with you. :-D

Primefalcon
September 9th, 2012, 07:44 AM
it'd be easily changed somewhere in one of the configuration files deep somewhere

Primefalcon
September 9th, 2012, 07:48 AM
I found this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=806150

so its probably just as easy in gtk