PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] usb stick

Vegan
September 9th, 2012, 01:31 AM
so at a local stationer i bought a pack of 3 usb sticks each is 8 GB so i have room enough for new ideas

any big issue installing to a USB stick and not use a HD at all

I wanted to also have some software installed as well but nothing significant

can the desktop run in 8 gb too?

mikewhatever
September 9th, 2012, 02:14 AM
8GB is planty of room even for a desktop distro, just remember to select manual partitioning (aka something else) and adjust the device grub gets installed to. It will need to be the usb stick instead of the default selection of the internal hdd.

rybnik
September 9th, 2012, 04:03 AM
Ugh, I've experimented with running operating systems (Ubuntu, Fedora, and Knoppix) off of flash drives and I found that the functionality can be pretty limited compared to a full hard drive install.

If you don't want to do a hard drive install, why not use wubi? It's idiot-proof and just as functional as a full install--and also idiot-proof to uninstall.

But wait--did you mean using it as a liveUSB or as a regular install treating the flash drive as a regular drive? I've only done the former, so I could be wrong about this...

rybnik
September 9th, 2012, 04:07 AM
@OP

Oh geez, I took a look at your profile and obviously you have way more experience with linux than I do. Disregard what I wrote.