PDA

View Full Version : Someone possibly stole my mother in-laws identity

SeaHawk22
September 7th, 2012, 08:18 PM
My mother in-law got a text this morning from Tmobile stating that her number had been changed. She called Tmobile customer service, and they stated someone had called earlier that day claiming to be her, and requested the number changed, and that it is presumably identity theft. I am posting on this forum because people here are technologically savvy, and wanted to hear your opinions. To me this just does not make much sense.... Why would someone want to make my mother inlaw aware that her identity had been possibly compromised? International calls are not really expensive anymore so it seems like a huge crime to commit for such a small incentive (assuming this even allowed them to use her number to dial out). She was given another number, and Tmobile will not even change her number back for another 48 hrs. I wish I could have been the one to speak with the customer service representative, and found out exactly what information was provided to allow such a change.

Thoughts? :popcorn:

SeijiSensei
September 8th, 2012, 02:46 AM
My first suspicion is that it is someone who knows your mother-in-law personally and has a grudge. That seems a more plausible scenario than some random person trying to create identify theft.

I'm still a bit unclear on the details though. If you call her old number, what happens? (Or what happened before T-Mobile changed it?) T-Mobile uses GSM, so her number should have been stored in her SIM card. Did she need to get a new card? Did she lose her phone lately?

jockyburns
September 8th, 2012, 06:54 PM
I wish they'd just steal my Mother in Law, instead. :lolflag::lolflag::lolflag::lolflag:

HermanAB
September 8th, 2012, 07:28 PM
So now you have two mothers in-law - damn - my heart bleeds for you...