PDA

View Full Version : ISP is Amazing! 1 Gbps upload and download

yeehi
September 7th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Hyperoptic (https://hyperoptic.com/web/guest/home)are currently providing symmetric 1 Gb/s internet connections to residences in the UK.

This service costs about $80 a month, or £50.

They use FTTH, Fibre To The Home, also known as FTTP or FTTB. (Premisis/Building).

I am not sure, but I think that this is a contentive service, i.e. you would be sharing the same fibre optic cable to the exchange with other people in your building. Not a direct fibre service, but a shared fibre service. Hyperoptic are specializing in supplying apartment buildings in urban centres.

What most ISPs seem to be doing is introducing a lesser service, FTTC, Fibre to the cabinet. The cabinet is a green box on the street. Fibre goes from the exchange to the cabinet and then it is copper from the cabinet to the various homes. With FTTH it is fibre all the way, no copper. With a direct fibre service, it is a single fibre all the way to the exchange. Wouldn't that be nice?

What could you do with a 1Gbps service?

The Quantal Quetzal DVD is 1.4 GB in size. You could download that entire DVD in 11.2 seconds.

Lets say that you did HD video and had a lot of home footage - enough to fill up an entire terrabyte hard disk. That would be about 78 hours worth of footage. Say you wanted to archive that at Amazon Glacier (http://aws.amazon.com/glacier/#getting-started-top), and had to upload it. Bear in mind this is actually an upload. The upload of that colossal amount of data would take you only 1 hour 36 minutes. (Just for comparison, the average fastest upload speed in the UK is about 3.267 Mbps. With that service, archiving the data would take almost 1 entire month of continuous uploading!

What do you think?

Would you like such an ISP? Do you have a good one now? What are your comments?

Jakin
September 7th, 2012, 07:33 PM
The Quantal Quetzal DVD is 1.4 GB in size. You could download that entire DVD in 11.2 seconds.

I doubt it would that fast; the server it is hosted on, may not allow such speeds.

I wish i did have that kinda speed though. I only have a 4mbit/s connection, which is plently fast for what i need, (can download ubuntu ISO in about 30mins for example). It also only costs me about 4usd a month, seriously.

doorknob60
September 8th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Hopefully more companies like this and Google Fiber start popping up and spreading, because internet speeds in the UK and US are pretty bad compared to other countries, it's time for some change! Plus, bandwidth caps suck, they need to go too.

mr john
September 8th, 2012, 05:55 AM
I doubt it would that fast; the server it is hosted on, may not allow such speeds.

Ah, but if you're using torrents then you can download from multiple servers at the same time.

There are also browser plugins that split downloads into more then one connection and can use several mirrors at the same time.

If you know what you are doing you will easily be able to get some very high speeds, at least for some things.

internet speeds in the UK and US are pretty bad

Compared to a small number of other countries yes. But I remember the days of BBS terminals and then 28.8k,,33.6 and 56k modems. Compared to that most broadband packages are pretty good. The big problem is that it's difficult to get good Internet to people in remote areas. There are alot of people, especially in the US, who are still on dial-up.

Jakin
September 8th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Ah, but if you're using torrents then you can download from multiple servers at the same time.

There are also browser plugins that split downloads into more then one connection and can use several mirrors at the same time.

If you know what you are doing you will easily be able to get some very high speeds, at least for some things.

Thats true :) I wasn't thinking of that. Curse of a 4mbit connection, as those don't help me, so i don;t mess with :lolflag:

linuxyogi
September 8th, 2012, 11:22 AM
My Broadband speed is 1 mbps up to 6 gb, then it comes down to 512kbps. I need to pay Rs750 for this unlimited plan.

mips
September 8th, 2012, 12:03 PM
My Broadband speed is 1 mbps up to 6 gb, then it comes down to 512kbps. I need to pay Rs750 for this unlimited plan.

You sure?

linuxyogi
September 8th, 2012, 12:15 PM
You sure?

Yes. Internet connections are very expensive in India. There are better Plans out therein comparison to my plan but they cost a lot.

mips
September 8th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Yes. Internet connections are very expensive in India. There are better Plans out therein comparison to my plan but they cost a lot.

Ah wait I see now what you mean, up to 6GB of data usage you get a 1Mb/s link and once you have used up 6GB of data your connection gets throttled down to 512kb/s?

linuxyogi
September 8th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Ah wait I see now what you mean, up to 6GB of data usage you get a 1Mb/s link and once you have used up 6GB of data your connection gets throttled down to 512kb/s?

Yes, that's it.

majabl
September 8th, 2012, 04:58 PM
£50 is more than I'm prepared to spend on my ISP. I'm on the Virgin 60Mbps service at the moment (double speed due 6 months to a year), which does me fine, and I'm very lucky to be able to get that because I live in a rural village - it's a choice of Virgin or plain old 8Mbps ADSL, or a wireless connection.

To be honest I can't see a service such as Hyperoptic's setting up in my village. It looks to me to be for urban centres only.

mips
September 8th, 2012, 05:25 PM
I'm on the Virgin 60Mbps service at the moment...

I can only dream...

rewyllys
September 9th, 2012, 07:47 PM
I had fiber-to-the-router service installed in and to our house just over two weeks ago, and I'm delighted with it!

For speed levels of 30 Mbps download and 3 Mbps upload, we're paying $20/month for the first six months; then the price goes to $45/month. The actual speeds are about 10% - 15% better than the rated speeds. The ISP offers speed levels as fast as 110 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up (for $110/month).

This is the first time my wife and I have ever had any service better than fiber to a street box about 800 feet (250 m) away, with copper wire or coaxial cable from there to our house. Now, there's not even a modem involved.

In the past 17 days there hasn't been a single hiccup in the service -- a unique record of reliability in my experience with Internet service to our house. (I feel as though I should knock on wood. <grin>)

jockyburns
September 9th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Saw a program on TV once where the presenters were comparing internet technology and modern technology both here in the UK and in South Korea. The UK presenter was using Virgin Media and had their top speed at the time (about 50Mbps download , bot only about 10Mbps upload) The South Korean presenter introduced a SK citizen who had the FTTH connection and had 1Gbps download and upload speed. The program went on to compare mobile phone technology. The UK presenter was seen on a London Underground train,,,, No phone connection at all. The South Korean presenter was filmed on the Seoul Underground,,, Full connectivity, even free TV services via wifi to mobile phones as well. South Korea were just so far in front of the UK, it was unbelievable. ;);)