PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] MATE desktop environment

czgirb
September 7th, 2012, 05:18 AM
Yesterday I installed MATE desktop environment with the following commands:

sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/ubuntu precise main"
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mate-archive-keyring
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment
and it's install MATE, LXDE and OPENBOX desktop environment.

Tried MATE ... tried to change the Theme ... mostly is unable to be changed. Some, is able able ... but not 100% changed.
*** In Ubuntu Tweak, theme is still Ubuntu's default theme. Ambience.
Tried LXDE ... due to the UI is difference, so I don't know how to change it.
OPENBOX ... what is this ??? How it looks like ???

Is it normal? How can I make all the theme is works 100% ???
If it can not, how can I uninstall it ???

Epodx64
September 7th, 2012, 07:12 AM

Tried MATE ... tried to change the Theme ... mostly is unable to be changed. Some, is able able ... but not 100% changed.
*** In Ubuntu Tweak, theme is still Ubuntu's default theme. Ambience.
Tried LXDE ... due to the UI is difference, so I don't know how to change it.
OPENBOX ... what is this ??? How it looks like ???

Is it normal? How can I make all the theme is works 100% ???
If it can not, how can I uninstall it ???

you can try sudo apt-get install ppa-purge then purge the MATE ppa that will revert you to previous settings might I suggest giving Cinnamon a try it's second only to KDE IMO

czgirb
September 7th, 2012, 08:09 AM
you can try sudo apt-get install ppa-purge then purge the MATE ppa that will revert you to previous settings might I suggest giving Cinnamon a try it's second only to KDE IMO

Is ... sudo apt-get install ppa-purge deb http://packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/ubuntu precise main ... is OK?

Epodx64
September 7th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Is ... sudo apt-get install ppa-purge deb http://packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/ubuntu precise main ... is OK?

uhm

sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
then
sudo apt-get ppa-purge ppa:whatever/mate

should work just fine; Did you install Mate from a .deb file or from a PPA?

czgirb
September 7th, 2012, 07:26 PM
... Did you install Mate from a .deb file or from a PPA?

Dunno what U mean. I installed MATE (directly from Terminal) as I described on 1st post.

Frogs Hair
September 7th, 2012, 09:35 PM
See the link to install or remove Mate. http://www.webupd8.org/2012/04/mate-desktop-12-released-install-it-in.html

Epodx64
September 8th, 2012, 09:32 AM
See the link to install or remove Mate. http://www.webupd8.org/2012/04/mate-desktop-12-released-install-it-in.html

That seems particularly complex just to install a D.E.

grahammechanical
September 8th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Mate is not an official Ubuntu flavour. That is why it does not have a variation of Ubuntu in its name, like we find with Xubuntu, Kubuntu and Lubuntu. And it is the reason it is installed from its own repositories and not from the Ubuntu repositories.

When we install a different desktop environment we also get stuff that those developers include as part of the desktop. That is why you have not just Mate but also LXDE and Openbox. This is something that happens when we install other desktop environments.

Ubuntu Tweak is designed for standard Ubuntu. It is not designed to modify another desktop environment.

You have to use the tools/utilities that were installed by the Mate desktop environment.

Did you notice this comment in the link provided by Frogs Hair?

In my test, MATE Desktop worked ok under Ubuntu 11.10, but there were some issues with MATE Settings Daemon in Ubuntu 12.04: the GTK theme wasn't applied correctly.

So, there are issues with themes not applying correctly.

Regards

wheeze
September 8th, 2012, 02:19 PM

I've installed MATE several times on Precise and it has never added LXDE/Openbox. Something is wrong there.

To change the theme in MATE go to the Preferences section and choose Appearance.

wheeze
September 8th, 2012, 02:20 PM
That seems particularly complex just to install a D.E.

No more complex than adding a PPA is.

offgridguy
January 19th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Mate is not an official Ubuntu flavour. That is why it does not have a variation of Ubuntu in its name, like we find with Xubuntu, Kubuntu and Lubuntu. And it is the reason it is installed from its own repositories and not from the Ubuntu repositories.

When we install a different desktop environment we also get stuff that those developers include as part of the desktop. That is why you have not just Mate but also LXDE and Openbox. This is something that happens when we install other desktop environments.

Ubuntu Tweak is designed for standard Ubuntu. It is not designed to modify another desktop environment.

You have to use the tools/utilities that were installed by the Mate desktop environment.

Did you notice this comment in the link provided by Frogs Hair?

So, there are issues with themes not applying correctly.

Regards
Another great reply . Thanks