PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] List of installed apps?

matthewpetty
September 7th, 2012, 12:33 AM
I'm using 12.04 stock from System76. I like Unity well enough, but I miss being able to look at all the apps I have installed in the "Start" menu. For example, in Gnome I could click on Programs > Graphics and see Inkscape, GIMP etc.
I know I can generate a list of all installed packages, but that would be too much. Is there a way to just see what app I have installed?

Epodx64
September 7th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Click on the Dash menu and search for Installed.

matthewpetty
September 8th, 2012, 08:13 PM
That returns "Sorry, there is nothing that matches your search"

MG&TL
September 8th, 2012, 08:23 PM
1. Open the Dash

2. Click on the applications lens. (Little icon at the bottom, looks like a box of crayons)

3. Expand the "installed" section.

Although it's not really designed to be used like that.

jerrrys
September 8th, 2012, 11:04 PM
go to your filesystem:

/user/share/applications

matthewpetty
September 8th, 2012, 11:47 PM
That did the trick. Thanks.

Is it that unusual to want to see all the stuff I've installed, so I can just browse and decide what I want to do?

MG&TL
September 8th, 2012, 11:59 PM
That did the trick. Thanks.

Is it that unusual to want to see all the stuff I've installed, so I can just browse and decide what I want to do?

Not especially, but most people already know what they want to do, I guess. Unity was designed to be a productive desktop, so I think it as designed so that you could get to stuff as quickly as possible, and that means not scrolling through a list.

Hope that's okay. :)

matthewpetty
September 9th, 2012, 03:36 AM
That's fine of course. I understand the desire to make it productive. I always installed and used keyboard launchers before Unity. I guess now that "Start" menu is gone, I miss it a little. You know. Start > Games > now what do I want to play....

MG&TL
September 9th, 2012, 07:25 AM
That's fine of course. I understand the desire to make it productive. I always installed and used keyboard launchers before Unity. I guess now that "Start" menu is gone, I miss it a little. You know. Start > Games > now what do I want to play....

That's okay. All people are different. At least you're not hating it and saying "Ubuntu sucks, I'm off to Mint/Windows/Mac/Debian". :)

jaithehulk
September 9th, 2012, 01:21 PM
It takes a bit getting used to without the start menu...but once u kno it the Dash icon becomes more useful than the start menu :)