PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] After installation cannot boot

rdh61
September 6th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Hi,

I have attempted to install Lubuntu 12.04 on an old HP Omnibook 4150. Previously it had working installations of Windows XP and Ubuntu 9.10. I elected to erase the entire disk and install only Lubuntu. The installation seemed to have concluded - Lubuntu desktop showing and no further discernible disk activity - so I told the system to shut down. Shutdown stalled, so I pressed the power off button. When I then turned on the computer, all I got was a blank screen with an eternally flashing cursor.

Any help gratefully received.

Epodx64
September 7th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Sounds like maybe the installation didn't finish I'd try reinstalling it those omnibooks are pretty old though arent they whats the specs on it? maybe crunchbang linux (ubuntu+openbox) Crunchbang Linux is probably a bit lighter then Lubuntu.

rdh61
September 8th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Thanks for your reply Epodx64. After repeatedly trying to install Lubuntu 12.04 and repeatedly failing, I installed Ubuntu 10.10 quite fast and without a single hitch. Yeah the computer's very old, 12GB HD, 256MB RAM - I'm going to upgrade both but I wanted to see if I could load a working system first. Thanks for pointing me to Crashbang (at first I thought it was an ironical comment meaning I should crash bang my ancient computer!) - I'll give it a try while I'm experimenting.

rdh61
September 10th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Update: Crunchbang Linux works like a dream. Thanks again.