PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a firefox unity integration gimmick

vexorian
September 6th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Err, I need to get this out of my system before I forget about it.

You know how there are many sites that add (number) to the page title when there is a number of updates? Like gmail or other good email services say (2) when there are two new messages...? How about an add-on for firefox that parses all open page titles (probably has a black list feature) and adds the numbers together so that it can later display the sum as a counter in the launcher icon?

What is required of me to develop something like this? I know programming in general and javascript, but I don't know where to start. If anyone else wants to do it, it is fine by me too.

vexorian
September 18th, 2012, 01:30 PM
I've been trying out things. The UnityFox (http://www.iloveubuntu.net/add-progressbar-and-countbadge-ubuntu-1204s-firefox-unityfox) firefox addon is actually MPL/GPL and provides code that does the communication with unity launcher and is able to make counters (or progress bars but UnityFox's idea to use the progress bar for downloads is already quite cool of an application for that).

So all that I need is a way to iterate through the open web page titles every 60+ or so seconds. Too bad that is turning out to be the hardest thing ever. It does not help I know nothing about firefox addons, but google searches about how to get all page or tab titles are not fructuous.

I really think that using counters for notifications would be very useful when you are using a maximized app different to firefox, no need to keep switching to firefox to check out if there are new things.