PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Karmic Koala fears the upgrade

Nopposan
September 6th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Hi, everybody.

I have a friend who has been using Karmic Koala, Ubuntu 9.10, on one of his computers for years. (He also uses Fedora on another computer, and I think he also uses Windows as well on still another.)

He'd like to keep using Karmic rather than upgrading; he says his former experiences with upgrading have cured him of the idea that an upgrade can go smoothly. (Now, I can say that my upgrade from 11.10 to 12.04 worked just great, although there was an annoying bug with Evolution and a few other Gtk apps that causes them to have a black background in some fields when I use Xfce -- I switched over to Gnome 3 until they get the bug fixed. This isn't an issue with the upgrade process at all though, just a minor bug with the new version.) O.k., so the bottom line is this: Are there version 9.10 repositories available anywhere? Can my friend continue to use Karmic Koala indefinitely even though the OS and the repositories are no longer supported by Ubuntu & Canonical? If so, how?

P.S. I know that using the unsupported version is inadvisable but I don't tell people what to do with Linux; I'll give them my opinion, but ultimately I try to help them do what they want.

Thank you.

oldos2er
September 6th, 2012, 03:52 PM
When Ubuntu versions reach their end of life, their repositories are moved to old-releases. See http://www.warpconduit.net/2011/07/31/apt-repository-for-old-ubuntu-releases/

Naturally there have been no security or any other updates for 9.10 since April 2011, so if you can convince your friend to run a fresh install (since an upgrade seems to be out of the question), that would be best. If they have a lower spec machine they could try Lubuntu or Xubuntu.

Nopposan
September 7th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Thank you!

That should work; I'll let you know if it does or not.