PDA

View Full Version : Who should post their Testimonial or Experience

vasa1
September 6th, 2012, 07:54 AM
"Ubuntu Testimonials & Experiences Here is your opportunity to tell other forum members about your experience of Ubuntu. Please do not use this section for support questions, bug reports, or debate."

I have noticed that quite a few threads in this section are initiated by posters who have very few beans.

While I fully understand that it is not at all necessary to have a record of active participation in the support section of ubuntuforums.org in order to experience Ubuntu or to write a testimonial, positive or negative, I do find it odd that someone suddenly decides to open an account and immediately thereafter posts his or her T/E. Then there are posters who signed up years ago, but make virtually no posts in the support section for several years, and then suddenly share their T/E.

Personally, I'd give more credence to the views of someone who has a record of using Ubuntu as evidenced by posts in the support section.

Obviously, this is not a comment about the quality of posts or the motive behind any particular T/E.

My suggestion is that there should be some sort of minimum requirement to post a T/E.

black veils
September 6th, 2012, 08:15 AM
shouldnt people be free to express their positive (or negative) experiences with ubuntu, regardless of how active they have been on the forums?

it can be something fun to do, why not embrace that?

what if you really wanted to post about how much you like ubuntu etc, but wait.. you cant, because you have not got enough beans. that seems rather exclusive, which goes against the community principle, does it not?

(and no i have not made one of those posts, nor will i)

sudodus
September 6th, 2012, 08:19 AM
I see your point, but I don't agree ;-)

I think that anyone can have experiences to share, and it is maybe even more important to read the experiences of beginners in order to make Ubuntu easy for beginners or to understand how to help.

KiwiNZ
September 6th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Please refer here

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=103

Thread closed to avoid duplication.

coffeecat
September 6th, 2012, 11:32 AM
I've re-opened the thread because I suggested to the OP that they might want to start a discussion about this. Apologies for not forewarning other staff - my fault entirely. Since the T&E sub-forum guidelines preclude discussion, the cafe seems to be the appropriate place for this. The OP's concerns follow a number of trollish posts in T&E (which were removed) from people with zero or low post counts.

What follows is my personal opinion and does not necessarily represent the staff generally, although my views are coloured by having to deal with posts that contravene the CoC.

I feel frustrated by the frequent occurrence of a negative and often misinformed post in the T&E by someone who appears to have registered simply to deposit a rant. Or by people with low post counts who seem unable to enter into the spirit of the guidelines of the T&E section and who post unconstructive and sour comments, or who seem to be unaware that their comments will not be read by those who make design decisions at Canonical. I don't object to negative opinions about Ubuntu, but the tone of many of these posts damages the mostly friendly nature of this forum. Nevertheless, they have the right to express their opinions.

On the other hand, we have recently had a couple of positive reviews from people who have only just registered.

Part of my reason for suggesting a discussion thread was that it would be useful to gauge forum community feeling about this.

nothingspecial
September 6th, 2012, 11:42 AM
I believe new users should be encouraged to post in the Testimonials and Experiences forum. Ubuntu has always targeted new users after all.

From the Testimonials and Experiences guidelines

This is not the place for full-scale debate or vigorous discussion, but feedback to the original poster is welcome.

In keeping with a vote by the forum membership which followed a discussion about the management of this section of the forum, threads will now be closed one week after the time of the original post. This is to allow limited discussion. No closure note will be posted to the thread. Staff may close a thread before this time if it strays from these guidelines or contravenes the forum Code of Conduct.

Remember the forum Code of Conduct. If you have had a bad experience, please take a deep breath before posting. Ranting can encourage hostile replies. If you see a hostile original post, please take a deep breath before replying!

These make the T&E forum easy to moderate as they are quite clear. Rants and arguments will be closed.

Elfy
September 6th, 2012, 11:48 AM

I feel frustrated by the frequent occurrence of a negative and often misinformed post in the T&E by someone who appears to have registered simply to deposit a rant. Or by people with low post counts who seem unable to enter into the spirit of the guidelines of the T&E section and who post unconstructive and sour comments, or who seem to be unaware that their comments will not be read by those who make design decisions at Canonical. I don't object to negative opinions about Ubuntu, but the tone of many of these posts damages the mostly friendly nature of this forum. Nevertheless, they have the right to express their opinions.

On the other hand, we have recently had a couple of positive reviews from people who have only just registered...

Sort of makes it worthwhile.

I agree with this sentiment.

I was, and still am, of the opinion though, that the forum should be readonly - but there was a vote and until that's revisited the week appears to be a suitable compromise.

As long as people are aware that there is in fact a code of conduct - things move along nicely.

mastablasta
September 6th, 2012, 12:03 PM
There are some people out there that do an effort before install and read a book or ducumentation. if the install fails or experience is bad in general why should they post in forums? ther eis also a possibility that:
1. they used another Linux before Ubutnu and had a smoother experience
2. they seaked help in documentation and on IRC and though they tried they could not help them.

for example i still have unresolved issues. i solved soem with some workarround yet some remain unsolved due to system bugs while some are just frustrating as stuff used to work nicely before but is not anymore (after certian update). and no one seems to know a definite solution to it.

Bachstelze
September 6th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Does anyone really care about what people post in T&E? A lot of people who post a rant in the Cafe that gets moved in T&E complain that it makes the post less visible, etc. To me, that's precisely the point. I'm not interested in your rant about Ubuntu. If someone is, they will visit T&E.

sffvba[e0rt
September 6th, 2012, 12:16 PM
My 2c ;) - Keep as is, if a post crosses the CoC take action as required.

The Cog
September 6th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Does anyone really care about what people post in T&E?
Yes.
I suspect that a number of rants posted in T&E may have been posted purely so they can then be referred to as "evidence" by anti-linux posts in other forums, blogs etc.

You can never be sure of this of course, but there are times when I suspect it.

Sylos
September 6th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Seems like a rock and a hard place really: If you allow people with low post counts etc write then you are likely to get a more negative outlook (people tend to write more when they dislike something and new users may well be confused regarding teething problems they are unable to resolve etc). On the other hand, if you restrict it to those with higher bean counts then it could be seen as censoring those who arent linux converts. Either way it could have a negative impact.

Not that my opinion really matters, but I'd say let it be free to anyone who wants to post and bring out the ban hammer for infractions. :D

Cheers

vexorian
September 6th, 2012, 04:09 PM
"Ubuntu Testimonials & Experiences Here is your opportunity to tell other forum members about your experience of Ubuntu. Please do not use this section for support questions, bug reports, or debate."

I have noticed that quite a few threads in this section are initiated by posters who have very few beans.

While I fully understand that it is not at all necessary to have a record of active participation in the support section of ubuntuforums.org in order to experience Ubuntu or to write a testimonial, positive or negative, I do find it odd that someone suddenly decides to open an account and immediately thereafter posts his or her T/E. Then there are posters who signed up years ago, but make virtually no posts in the support section for several years, and then suddenly share their T/E.

Personally, I'd give more credence to the views of someone who has a record of using Ubuntu as evidenced by posts in the support section.

Obviously, this is not a comment about the quality of posts or the motive behind any particular T/E.

My suggestion is that there should be some sort of minimum requirement to post a T/E.
Who says testimonials need to have credence?

I suspect that a number of rants posted in T&E may have been posted purely so they can then be referred to as "evidence" by anti-linux posts in other forums, blogs etc.

Does anyone care about anti-Linux blogs anyway?

aysiu
September 6th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Trolling posts and negative experiences are not the same thing (though there can be overlap).

Since trolling is pretty easy to spot, people can report troll posts to get them jailed, and I actually like to see the negative experiences that are honest. Regardless of what they post, it's valuable feedback--either for technical problems, cultural problems, or perception/marketing problems.

OrangeCrate
September 6th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Trolling posts and negative experiences are not the same thing (though there can be overlap).

Since trolling is pretty easy to spot, people can report troll posts to get them jailed, and I actually like to see the negative experiences that are honest. Regardless of what they post, it's valuable feedback--either for technical problems, cultural problems, or perception/marketing problems.

Unfortunately, sometimes they're not zeroed out quick enough, and the threads turn into circuses. Better policing would be the answer I suppose, but, with volunteer staff, that may not be as easily done, as said.

Edit:

Just noticed you're retired staff now. You did an outstanding job asiyu, thanks for all your help over the years.

:)

Elfy
September 6th, 2012, 07:13 PM
...Out of curiosity, if you post in T&E, do you get credit for the posts? ...
Not any longer.

I believe that was changed at the same time as the 1 week rule was put into place.

OrangeCrate
September 6th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Not any longer.

I believe that was changed at the same time as the 1 week rule was put into place.

I did remember that, and I modified my post without seeing your response. Sorry.

-----

I don't want to go off on a rant here, but, it just amazes me how many people respond in threads that are started by obvious trolls. I've often wanted to post "DON'T FEED THE TROLL!", but, that would be bad form in my book, and I've resisted the temptation over the years.

vexorian
September 6th, 2012, 07:46 PM
I am on the side that says that instead of avoiding to feed a troll, we have to feed him until he explodes.

QIII
September 6th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Trolls of all shapes and sizes inhabit every online forum. There are Linux-loving trolls who get their jollies on Windows forums, too.

People sometimes need to vent after a negative experience. There is nothing wrong with that and there is nothing wrong with a place for that. Sometimes a low bean count is more an indication of unfamiliarity with how to ask questions and where, rather than an indication of trolling.

Something we often miss when we complain about the threads started with a negative post is that we (and I include myself) sometimes react in kind. A poster having a very negative and painful experience may be shouting a call for help with a rant. It doesn't become us to get red-faced and defensive and then throw darts at the poster.

Before we crab about negative T&E threads, it would sure be nice if we were doing a better job of not making things worse by being negative ourselves.

I am the equus asinus (a group of single-toed, hooved ungulates commonly referred to as "asses") here. I have the avatar. No need for everyone to be! ;)

KiwiNZ
September 6th, 2012, 09:08 PM
If we are not prepared to accept criticism we are not prepared to grow. Feed back be it from a long term member or someone with zero beans is valuable and a gift. If someone takes the time to write a complaint they have the time to care, therefore complaints or feedback be it negative or positive are a valuable gift, it gives us information on how we are progressing and how we can improve. They also reinforce where we have done well.

Of course we receive the campaign against change of any kind feed back, we cannot stop these from occurring, these people are generally selfish and seldom see the bigger picture, or the picture from a different aspect. Trolls will never be tolerated and are dealt with by our Troll hammers.

y6FgBn)~v
September 6th, 2012, 09:22 PM
my 2c ;) - keep as is, if a post crosses the coc take action as required.

+1

lykwydchykyn
September 6th, 2012, 10:16 PM
If we are not prepared to accept criticism we are not prepared to grow. Feed back be it from a long term member or someone with zero beans is valuable and a gift. If someone takes the time to write a complaint they have the time to care, therefore complaints or feedback be it negative or positive are a valuable gift, it gives us information on how we are progressing and how we can improve. They also reinforce where we have done well.

I would agree with this if the "we" in question were actually the people who develop Ubuntu and in a position to act on criticism and feedback constructively. Or if those who *are* in that position were reading the posts.

By and large, most of the "we" in this case are just people who use and like Ubuntu enough to want to come here to discuss it. An enthusiast who encounters uninformed, unfair criticism of that to which he's devoted has only a few real possible responses:

- ignore the post completely
- say something inocuous, like "sorry you didn't like it!"
- attempt to correct the misunderstandings in a nice way
- argue and flame.

Personally, I'm a big fan of option #1, but sometimes there's the whole "somebody's wrong on the internet" thing that just takes over...

T&E's kind of a no-win situation any way you go. If you close it, people will post to the forums. If you limit or censor it arbitrarily, people will start griping that UF silences dissent. If you leave it wide open, you end up with a bunch of drama on a regular basis.

I think it's been better in the last couple years, though I think it's good to encourage people to report trollish posts and remind posters that they're not addressing developers. Either it's been better, or I've been better at ignoring it.

vexorian
September 6th, 2012, 10:42 PM
I'd just correct the misunderstandings in a rough way.

Buntu Bunny
September 7th, 2012, 03:07 AM
Honestly? I don't have many beans because I don't feel knowledgeable enough to make many comments in the support section other than ask questions. I've used Ubuntu for over 4 years though, and feel that as a low to mid tech user, I still have something valid to say. My reasons for posting to TorE would be to try and provide valid feedback.

I've been frustrated with 12.04, especially Unity. I gave it an honest try and think it's a matter of individual computing style. I thought about posting to TE, but didn't. Seems like negative comments about Unity get shut down pretty quickly. I agree some may just be from grumps who like to stir things up, but sometimes negative feedback is meant to be information for improvements. At least I'd like to hope I come across that way.