PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] No login with upgrade to 12.04

joelgsf
September 6th, 2012, 07:48 AM
I have upgraded my desktop system online from 10.04 to 12.04, after having so upgraded my notebook with success. It seemded to have gone all well but, after restarting the system, I could not have access to it anymore. I am the only registered user and it is not accepting my password, though it does not say so, simply returning to the login box after blanking the screen a while.
At first I thougt that it could have been some "glitch" which had altered my password. I've got access to a "root terminal" restoring my old password, but it was useless. I still can't have access to the system.
Any hints? I'm really desperate to get access to the system, as this is my "workhorse".
Thank you for any help.

Joel Guilherme

dino99
September 6th, 2012, 09:13 AM
As i can remember:
- 10.04 is using gdm, but 12.04 use lightdm
- 12.04 lightdm use by default unity-greeter

so the questions are :
- is gdm been purged ?
- are you login with lightdm ?

To get around:
- boot in recovery mode and select root session, then check the above packages.

If you then still get troubles, erase the hidden files: .gconf, .local, .gnome2, .config ; they will be cleanly recreated on next boot (but without your custom settings)

joelgsf
September 6th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Thank you, dino99, but I've tried all your sugestions without success. What didi worked was to force gdm to be the default display manager with

sudo apt-get install gdm
sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm
sudo shutdown -r now
as I found in http://askubuntu.com/questions/130387/stuck-at-login-screen, in a post by Shah.
This way I get the "old style" login page, but it works. I still don't know why lightdm doesn't work, but that's another problem.
Thanks anyway.