PDA

View Full Version : Should I exchange Ipod Nano 1st gen

Primefalcon
September 6th, 2012, 05:07 AM
I hav an old Ipod Nano first gen device..... Apple are still running their device replacements..... and I heard they are now swapping them for current gen units

I am kinda put of by how tiny the new ones are comparatively..... Should I exchange?

Also what can the new one do that the old one couldn't? And how does the current one operate under Ubuntu?

KiwiNZ
September 6th, 2012, 05:28 AM
The new ones will raid your fridge, hide your newspaper, drink your beer and take you to court.

Primefalcon
September 6th, 2012, 05:38 AM
The new ones will raid your fridge, hide your newspaper, drink your beer and take you to court.
Ouch, not my beer!!!

mamamia88
September 6th, 2012, 06:50 AM
I hav an old Ipod Nano first gen device..... Apple are still running their device replacements..... and I heard they are now swapping them for current gen units

I am kinda put of by how tiny the new ones are comparatively..... Should I exchange?

Also what can the new one do that the old one couldn't? And how does the current one operate under Ubuntu?is the one you have rockbox capable? http://www.rockbox.org/

Primefalcon
September 6th, 2012, 07:59 AM
is the one you have rockbox capable? http://www.rockbox.org/
As far as I know... you can't install anything else on it....... it's just an amped up mp3 player
Wow I just looked and yes..... it can!

I'll wait on ding this untilI decide on wwhether tog et the new ipod or not... and whether its risky (brickable)

vexorian
September 6th, 2012, 04:13 PM

Also what can the new one do that the old one couldn't? And how does the current one operate under Ubuntu?
I have a 2G ipod nano, and I would trade it with yours. 1G ipod nanos are the last ones not to have encrypted firmware. Without encrypted firmware, you can install rockbox on them, which will eventually allow you to run Doom on the ipod. Which is , of course, the ultimate objective of any device hacker.

mamamia88
September 6th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I have a 2G ipod nano, and I would trade it with yours. 1G ipod nanos are the last ones not to have encrypted firmware. Without encrypted firmware, you can install rockbox on them, which will eventually allow you to run Doom on the ipod. Which is , of course, the ultimate objective of any device hacker.
and the new version of rockbox is being released on sunday

Primefalcon
September 6th, 2012, 06:36 PM
good news for you..... the 2nd gen Ipod nano can have rockbox:

http://www.rockbox.org/manual.shtml

vexorian
September 6th, 2012, 07:15 PM
I remember that when I got my ipod from free at a google code jam I heard of rockbox and it didn't support it. Seems a lot of work when on from that long ago. But it says it is "unstable" for 2nd gen nano, will install anyway... Let's see how it does.

Hopefully this won't kill my ipod.

Primefalcon
September 6th, 2012, 07:52 PM
I remember that when I got my ipod from free at a google code jam I heard of rockbox and it didn't support it. Seems a lot of work when on from that long ago. But it says it is "unstable" for 2nd gen nano, will install anyway... Let's see how it does.

Hopefully this won't kill my ipod.
Apparently the IPod's aren't brickable anyhow... you can force into disk mode and restore using Itunes if you have a windows/mac install/disk laying around (been researching :))

vexorian
September 6th, 2012, 08:16 PM
wow, it is working fine. I can copy music and playlists to my ipod through just any file manager. As if it was a decent music player! And it can play ogg!

And it plays doom. Sorry for derailing your thread. But to stay on topic, this is something newest nanos can't do and 1st gen nanos can.

Primefalcon
September 7th, 2012, 01:49 AM
forget it.... this Rockbox thing has doom, text editors, and everything else

Primefalcon
September 7th, 2012, 04:16 AM
wow, it is working fine. I can copy music and playlists to my ipod through just any file manager. As if it was a decent music player! And it can play ogg!

And it plays doom. Sorry for derailing your thread. But to stay on topic, this is something newest nanos can't do and 1st gen nanos can.
BTW where do you copy stuff to in the file manager?

nvm just read yo can create a media directory of your own choosing.... wow this thing is sweet!!!! no more having to rely on banshee or such!!!!!! full on file browser FTW!!

vexorian
September 7th, 2012, 04:19 AM
Anywhere. Then you go to files and look for the music. It is easier if you save the playlists as m3u (with relative paths) so that you can just select the playlists in the file list.

Yeah, navigation is not the most friendly ever.

mamamia88
September 7th, 2012, 04:41 AM
Anywhere. Then you go to files and look for the music. It is easier if you save the playlists as m3u (with relative paths) so that you can just select the playlists in the file list.

Yeah, navigation is not the most friendly ever.

It is when you get used too it. Also banshee is great for creating m3u playlists. Also could you let me know what kind of battery life you get on the ipod? I only use rockbox capable players now and am looking for something longer than my fuze

Primefalcon
September 7th, 2012, 05:37 AM
It is when you get used too it. Also banshee is great for creating m3u playlists. Also could you let me know what kind of battery life you get on the ipod? I only use rockbox capable players now and am looking for something longer than my fuze
Atm mines saying it's at 91% battery and it has 8 hours and 31 mins left... what I need to figure out now is how to get rhytmbox to stop launching every time I plug this thing in.......

mamamia88
September 7th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Atm mines saying it's at 91% battery and it has 8 hours and 31 mins left... what I need to figure out now is how to get rhytmbox to stop launching every time I plug this thing in.......

should be under edit>preferences in nautilus or something like that. need to uncheck the setting to open app when mounted

Primefalcon
September 7th, 2012, 08:45 PM
should be under edit>preferences in nautilus or something like that. need to uncheck the setting to open app when mounted
That's where I used to go..... but I can't see the option there anymore, I might have to boot up gconf and dcon and have a look... doesn't seem to be a gui option anymore inside of nautilus itself

Primefalcon
September 7th, 2012, 08:56 PM
hmm managed to turn off app launching using Ubuntu-tweak entirely.... but come on there has to be a better option..... where is the media tab that used to be in nautilus=>prefs.....

Are yo seriously telling me that Once you turn on an auto launch for something now.... that your basically stuck with it? really?

Primefalcon
September 7th, 2012, 10:09 PM
btw if you want to conver a video over to the Ipod nano 1st/2nd gen screen

try this

avconv -i file.mp4 -s 144x132 fileoutput.mpeg

if you want to do a whole folder

type in

for f in *.mp4; do avconv -i "$f" -s 144x132 "${f%.mp4}.mpeg"; done

of course if the files you are changing are wmv's rather than mp4s simply change mp4 to whatever