PDA

View Full Version : Good news for theme customization?

vasa1
September 6th, 2012, 04:00 AM
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/09/customize-gtk3-gtk2-theme-colors-using.html

And here's a link to Satya's intro: http://worldofgnome.org/customizing-gtk-themes-just-got-easier/

uRock
September 6th, 2012, 04:03 AM
Not a support request. Moved to Desktop Environments.

Toz
September 6th, 2012, 04:32 AM
Sure is a nice step forward. Editing the gtk files by hand is cumbersome. It needs to mature quite a bit to cover all of the different gtk widgets and elements. Maybe even start to address application-specific settings.

The challenge will be that gtk is a moving target.

vasa1
September 6th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Sure is a nice step forward. Editing the gtk files by hand is cumbersome. It needs to mature quite a bit to cover all of the different gtk widgets and elements. Maybe even start to address application-specific settings.

The challenge will be that gtk is a moving target.

Have you tried it? I'm going to give it a shot ASAP!

As for the moving target bit, I get the impression that they (?) are trying to move to conventional CSS and default "engines". I hope that's a good thing.

vasa1
September 6th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Installed it.

Right now, there's no provision to select the theme to be modified. I'm assuming it will act on the currently active theme.

vasa1
September 6th, 2012, 02:46 PM
I just tried it. The settings are saved to ~/.gtkrc-2.0. Since I don't have anything in my ~/.gtkrc-2.0, I had no problem when I reverted because this file was deleted.

Toz
September 6th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I just tried it. The settings are saved to ~/.gtkrc-2.0. Since I don't have anything in my ~/.gtkrc-2.0, I had no problem when I reverted because this file was deleted.

Just ~/.gtkrc-2.0? Nothing to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/ ? That would mean its gtk-2 compliant only.
I'll have to give this a try tonight when I have some free time.

vasa1
September 6th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Just ~/.gtkrc-2.0? Nothing to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/ ? That would mean its gtk-2 compliant only.
I'll have to give this a try tonight when I have some free time.
@Toz, that was my hurried look. Also, I noticed that to get things back completely, I had to reboot, not just log out, log in.
Overall, as you said earlier, the options are quite minimal and since I've already gotten used to digging deep, I won't be needing this for some time.