PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation failing

robinelizabeth
September 5th, 2012, 10:39 PM
I know I have seen a lot of people with similar problems, but, I get to the "Ready when you are..." and I can't do anything. I haven't entered a user name or any of that yet. I'm not sure if that is the next step or if that's where I am and I just can't see the place for it. I can not see the bottom of my page on my screen. I've tried everything I can think of with the little options I have in the installation process. Can anyone help me?
Main points:
-Stuck at "Ready when you are"
-Isn't username/passowrd
-Can't see bottom of screen.

Is it my iso file?

Edit: I forgot to mention, it is the netbook 10.10 edition and this is not my first time installing. I am reinstalling it overtop of my old partitioned operating systems.

Also, I am not getting the "Who are you?" page. It's giving me the slideshow and skipping it.

mastablasta
September 6th, 2012, 07:19 AM
you can verify the burned data and you can also check the md5sum of the image to make sure it's a good one. also 10.10 is not supported anymore. 12.04 is suggested.

coldraven
September 6th, 2012, 09:04 AM
I do all my installs from a 1GB SD card, it's quicker and you don't waste a CD.
You can create one using "Startup Disc Creator" in Ubuntu or Unetbootin on a Windows/Mac/Linux box.
You need to alter the BIOS setup to make booting from USB the first option.
Change it back after a successful install.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

robinelizabeth
September 9th, 2012, 02:02 AM
you can verify the burned data and you can also check the md5sum of the image to make sure it's a good one. also 10.10 is not supported anymore. 12.04 is suggested.

Okay. So, I installed 12.04 but now my screen goes purple, then black and nothing. Someone said to press Ctrl+alt+F1 and enter my user, pass and a certain phrase of text, but I can't enter my password it won't let me. It just says login failed and restarts the process.

If I press Ctrl+Fn+Alt+F7 I can see the screen the way I did during installation: only half of my screen works and I can switch out top or bottom by how far I use the mouse: I can only see half my screen at a time. Is this a setting or what?