PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [unity] launcher to be hidden by default

twipley
September 5th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I just wanted to fork a previous thread and launch a little debate about this. The question is whether or not the launcher (vertical bar at the left of the screen) should or be hidden by default (somewhat akin to minimalist GNOME-Shell design). It merely is an idea the objective of which is to improve the default environment.

I definitely disagree. [...] You should always make something visible to start if it can be adjusted to not be visible. That way, people can easily see it and decide if they want it to stay there or for them to change it. If it is hidden by default, it might take some time before the user realizes it is there and that they want it always visible.

An interesting point is being made. Indeed, without the implementation of both a viable and unobstructive way teaching one to do without it being visible, much frustration would be experienced from their part.

A workaround might be for a tip bubble to be displayed upon [first] login, to the effect of: "Hold down the 'Super' key to get started." (Of course a method would be needed to show the user what is meant by the "Super" key.)

Most people I know feel more at ease doing it in such a way, with the launcher hidden. Some, less used to computers, even sometimes take so much time releasing the mouse button on icon clicks that in that interval of time the icon has the time to move along with the cursor, the end result being that the desired action is brought to a fail.

Holding the Super key and pressing one of the overlaid numeric keys solves the problem for most. Plus, one gets to have more screen space by default.

It might even benefit from not only being auto-hidden, but from staying hidden if one hovers around it, with the end result of solving the common hindrance of having it pop up in unwanted moments, for example when one reaches the left-pointing previous-page arrow button in Firefox.

Unity is awesome, although GNOME-Shell has some great points to it, such as advance in the field of the inducement of minimalist experiences.

So, it is your turn -- get your arguments out, for what it is hoped will be a rewarding debate.

twipley
September 6th, 2012, 02:31 AM
brainstorm entry: http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/30121/

ookooboontoo
September 6th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Am I getting this right, You would like the the left unity bar to remain hidden until you hit the Win Key, I think you can reduce the sensitivity to virtually nil and set it to auto hide. Is this enough?

Epodx64
September 7th, 2012, 08:12 AM
I just use KDE I really didn't mind unity but I didn't like how little control I had over the U.I. I did manage to hack the launcher to default to the bottom of the screen but even then it still felt to cluttered for me I like my desktop uber-clean I have two folders on my desktop and 6 Launchers and my Panel is only half the screen.

I did like Cinnamon though not enough to replace KDE but it seems to free you up abit.

Epodx64
September 7th, 2012, 08:16 AM
See this is how I like my desktop simple clean and efficient I never felt like I could achieve that with Unity.

twipley
September 7th, 2012, 05:19 PM
See this is how I like my desktop simple clean and efficient I never felt like I could achieve that with Unity.

As ookooboontoo said a simple, clean, minimalist desktop interface can be achieved through setting the launcher to auto-hide;

now with the LibreOffice menu-bar integration from 12.10 things will get even better. I always thought launcher was hidden by default in some previous versions, too.

jaithehulk
September 10th, 2012, 05:18 PM
How do I permanently hide the launcher menu?

twipley
September 14th, 2012, 03:36 PM
How do I permanently hide the launcher menu?
Under 13.xx, the option is located quite a few clicks away:

1) gear icon;
2) system settings;
3) appearance;
4) behavior;
5) switch to "on;"

voilą.