PDA

View Full Version : How many HD DVD/BD owners here? Linux on PS3 possibilities?

tsb
June 28th, 2006, 02:24 PM
I decided against a 1G machine personally, but will probably get a PS3 this fall (especially if they release a huge HDD) and a good stand alone BD recorder with a HDD after they work out the bugs. How many of you guys here have already bought into either? Anyone excited about the PS3 as a Linux box? As long as Sony releases the right tools and information to developers it could be a sweet Linux box. I'm really looking forward to both personally. I do want to upgrade my display with a unit that accepts 1080/24p/60p and has HDMI 1.3 first though. Without the proper display both would be wasted IMO.

Rock on!

tsb
June 29th, 2006, 02:05 AM
No one? I figured there would a at least a few AV nuts like myself here. :(

joflow
June 29th, 2006, 02:54 AM
The HDD in the PS3 is going to be 60gigs (hardly huge) and thats going to be on the $600 version. The $500 version will only come with a 20 or 30 gig drive.

tsb
June 29th, 2006, 04:57 AM
The HDD in the PS3 is going to be 60gigs (hardly huge) and thats going to be on the $600 version. The $500 version will only come with a 20 or 30 gig drive.

Sony already announced they will make larger HDDs available months ago. The 20/60GB HDDs are just the initial offerings. I'm hoping for a 160GB 7200rpm drive soon after launch. If it's easy to swap them out I may just get the 60GB model at launch and put in another drive. If they can't get 160GB 7200rpm drives sorted out by fall the 100GB Hitachi 7K100 would be OK as well with its outstanding performance. Remember these are 2.5" drives, so 120-160GB is huge. ;-)

Rhapsody
June 29th, 2006, 06:58 PM
I do plan to get a PS3 (most likely the 60GB version, since the 20GB version is unlikely to be sold in the UK) but not for the Blu-ray disc playback or pre-installed Linux (if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is). I want one for this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercenaries_2:_World_in_Flames). I loved Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction, and the sequel looks to be better in every way. I don't plan to get the Xbox 360 version for three reasons.

One: After looking at the specifications of both the PlayStation 3 and the Xbox 360, I am convinced the PlayStation 3 will be more powerful. Since I see this as a game that can really use a lot of graphical power, that will be very good for 'feel'.

Two: While it has now been officially announced for the Xbox 360, the fact that it was announced for the PlayStation 3 first gives me the impression that the PlayStation 3 is what Pandemic really want to develop for, and it'll probably be the better version regardless of console power.

Three: A few years ago, I began a total boycott of Microsoft products. I have no plans to stop this boycott in the forseeable future. Hence, a Microsoft logo can be considered the kiss of death for any product I am giving consideration to purchasing.

I must admit that I have been put off the game slightly by the official site (http://www.mercs2.com/).

"This content requires the Macromedia Flash Player."

I think they mean Macromedia Flash Player 8, since I already have Macromedia Flash Player 7 installed, though they don't state that. Strangely enough clicking on "Terms of Use" or "Privacy Policy" gains me access to the site, the vast majority of which seems to make no use of Flash whatsoever. Hmm...

G Morgan
June 29th, 2006, 07:49 PM
An interesting move by Sony. How much tax will they save now they can market the PS3 as a computer rather than as a toy. Irrelevant their tax dodging measure means market penetration for Linux. I have one question though, what is the likelyhood of Tivo-isation, I'd want to install my own Linux flavour if I got one.

Another question would be can I install any HDD or will I be restricted to Sony based overpriced ones and what about general hardware like a mouse and keyboard.

master5o1
September 6th, 2006, 11:42 PM
An interesting move by Sony. How much tax will they save now they can market the PS3 as a computer rather than as a toy. Irrelevant their tax dodging measure means market penetration for Linux. I have one question though, what is the likelyhood of Tivo-isation, I'd want to install my own Linux flavour if I got one.

Another question would be can I install any HDD or will I be restricted to Sony based overpriced ones and what about general hardware like a mouse and keyboard.

I say USB keyboard/mouse :P...

What I would do is get a second hand Xbox360 from somewhere like TradeMe (http://www.trademe.co.nz) or Ebay...(trademe = NZ one)... Install some linux onto it (ubuntu) ...and enjoy the massively underpriced hardware (a computer equivilant in NZ would be priced ~$5000+ NZ dollars)..