PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu freezing at language selection screen (prior to install)

Ragarli
September 4th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Hello,

I'm new to using Ubuntu so most terminology within it eludes me. However, when I try to install it via DVD... I put the DVD into my computer, boot it and then it opens up fine, loads through everything then finally when Ubuntu launches and the install menu pops up, the language selection window is white and no mouse/keyboard action works. What can I do to fix/get around this? I've tried a wubi install though I'd rather not resort to that again.

System Specs:
i7-870 on P7P55D-E PRO mobo
8gb 1600mhz RAM
3 HDDs (1 SATA I, 1 SATA II, 1 SATA III)
GTX 580, GTX 460

Thanks,
Ragarli

TheFu
September 4th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Could this help? http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1523443

Ragarli
September 4th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Uhh, I actually found that earlier, though it seems they actually got ubuntu installed while I'm not even able to get past the language selection screen. :\

TheFu
September 4th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Perhaps disconnecting hardware to get the simplest possible system for the installation would work?

Does the DVD work in liveCD mode? Without installing?

If it is a graphics problem, perhaps using a non-graphical installer would work? Alt-install or server distro.

Do you really have 2 GPU cards in there? Pull one out and try again.

Unless someone has exactly your issue, then they can't help. For help from a wider audience, more specifics are needed - mainly concerning the exact hardware inside. Chipsets, disk controllers would be important information to add. Then I'd look those parts up in a few different HCL for Linux.

The controller for the DVD could be an issue, so perhaps using a YUMI and the ISO from a USB flash drive for installation will get you further?

Sorry, no exact answer.