PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Second partition is in /var instead as drive

stefens
September 4th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Hi folks,

I installed Ubunutu 12.04 Gnome-Shell Remix on my computer and I'm really satisfied with it! But I do have a problem concerning the second partition (for backups) of my hard drive.
During installation, I split up the drive in two halfs and set the first one as '/' (root) and the second one as '/var', bc I thought thats where all the other drives go.
Unfortunately, I can't make use of the second partition as a sole backup drive, bc the /var folder is still in use and on the second partition.
How do I have to re-configure Linux to have the /var folder on my primary drive and the secondary drive as a backup partition only?

thx

darkod
September 4th, 2012, 12:52 PM
If you look in /etc/fstab there should be entry like:
UUID=<string> /var etc.....

Boot with the cd in live mode (not from the hdd so that it doesn't mount / and /var), and mount your / and /var partitions at any temporary mount point. For example you can create /mnt/temproot and /mnt/tempvar and mount the partition there.

Then create a var folder inside the / partition (inside the temporary mount point), so that would be like /mnt/temproot/var.

Copy everything keeping ownership and permissions from the partition into the new folder, like:
sudo cp -ax /mnt/tempvar/ /mnt/temproot/var/

After that edit the fstab and comment out the /var line (put a # symbol in front). Don't forget that with the temporary mount of / the fstab will be something like /mnt/temproot/etc/fstab.

Reboot and that should be it. Without the /var entry in fstab active, it should use the var folder inside /. By keeping ownership and permissions during copying, it should work fine.

After you are sure it's working, you can format the second partition and use it as you wish.

stefens
September 4th, 2012, 02:48 PM
It worked!
Thank you, though the correct usage of the copy command was
sudo cp -ax /mnt/tempvar/. /mnt/temproot/var

darkod
September 4th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Didn't know about the dot. The other option was to enter the directory first, and then copy using a * to replace everything in the folder, like:
cd /mnt/tempvar
sudo cp -ax * /mnt/temproot/var/

Anyway, glad it worked. Please mark the thread as Solved using Thread Tools above the first post.