PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update 12.04 failing

fathercisco
September 4th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Hi All,

I am having an immense amount of trouble getting my 12.04 to update and am hoping that one of you good people will be able to help.
So far i have trawled the forum and tried sudo apt-get update and removing recommended updates all to no avail!.
I am new to ubuntu and linux in general and would really appreciate any help anybody can give.
Thank you in advance.

dino99
September 4th, 2012, 10:22 AM
usually speaking, an issue is half solved by asking the good question :p

what is yours ? saying "have huge problems" does not tell much about it ;) Do you get errors ? which ?

you can install synaptic for easier experience:

sudo apt-get install synaptic

then running it:
sudo synaptic

you still can reading the community help link below.

fathercisco
September 5th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Hi

Yes i'm sorry that wasn't very descriptive was it?. :P
The issue i am having is the untrusted packages issue, although most people that have experienced this have a list of one or two apps that won't update whereas i have a very long list, in fact it appears to me that most of the updates required are listed.

I have tried

sudo apt-get update

But this returns "no known address " for every line of the update ( i apologise at this point if my explanation is making things less clear).
I can copy the exact output if that would make things easier.

Frogs Hair
September 5th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Posting the entire output may offer some clues .

fathercisco
September 6th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Hi All,

Thank you for your time and help, i have gone with dino99's sugestion of synaptic and that appears to have done the trick although there are some packages that it can't find, however in order that i learn something from this could anybody explain to me why this worked and update manager did not ?.

Again thank-you all for your help.