PDA

View Full Version : Unity failure - Is there a Plan B?

tunasushi
September 4th, 2012, 03:16 AM
I'm not here to bash Unity, though that's what this post may seem to appear to be at first.

Unity is a failure. It's not what the users want, and it's not what the market is responding to. Is Canonical going to continue supporting a lost cause, allowing whatever is left of its dwindling user base to evaporate further? Here's the question: What's plan B?

There is no critical mass for Unity. Windows 7 is currently the most used operating system. According to data recently released, Windows 7 comprises 42.76% of the market. It just overtook Windows XP at 42.52% of the market. Ugly step-brother Windows Vista is next at 6.15%. That's a Windows trifecta total of 91.43%.

Next is the Apple Empire: Mac OSX 10.7 at 2.45%, OSX 10.6 at 2.38%, and OSX 10.8 at 1.41%. It's quite telling that the shittiest version of Windows is neck-to-neck with every OSX version combined.

Then there is Linux. Linux has a paltry 1.1% of the market, less than the least popular OSX. Of that measly 1.1%, Ubuntu is third in popularity in DistroWatch, after Mint and Mageia. Both of them are about twice as popular as Ubuntu right now.

So Ubuntu has become a distant third in a last place finish. This is shocking to me. Ubuntu used to be the best hope to get a real community-driven OS to the masses. I can't imagine why Ubuntu didn't gobble up the disenfranchised when Vista was foisted upon the world. but I do know why it's trailing now. Unity is a steaming pile of feces. This is my opinion, and feel free to disagree. With it, I just couldn't perform my day-to-day computing needs with any grace or confidence.

My experience may be subjective, but the numbers tell the same story. Smarter people than me must have figured this out by now too, so again I ask: is there a Plan B? Where are the developers going? What's the latest and greatest shiny UI?

I have since moved on to Mint, but I want to see if anyone else has any thoughts.

73ckn797
September 4th, 2012, 03:25 AM
You have stated that it is subjective so that may be all that needs to be said.

As you may have discovered, use what works for you, Mint seems to be the case.

What I find that works is different and works for my needs. With that I go with it and do not complain. I have only time invested which is my choice.

Glad that you have found your alternative to Windows or Mac. Whichever may be the case.

I have removed Unity and have a pure Gnome 3 environment running Ubuntu 12.04.

Ravi5kumar
September 4th, 2012, 04:38 AM
You can use any desktop environment as you like. No one has forced you to use unity. Like Gnome 2.x then install gnome-classic. Prefer lightweight DE, install XFCE or LXDE! I personally don't use unity because compiz use too much RAM and CPU. Otherwise I love unity...

73ckn797
September 4th, 2012, 05:34 AM
You can use any desktop environment as you like. No one has forced you to use unity. Like Gnome 2.x then install gnome-classic. Prefer lightweight DE, install XFCE or LXDE! I personally don't use unity because compiz use too much RAM and CPU. Otherwise I love unity...

I have removed compiz and also installed mutter in addition to eliminating Unity.

Artificial Intelligence
September 4th, 2012, 05:39 AM
This is not a T&E related topic. Moved to Recurring.

Mikeb85
September 4th, 2012, 06:25 AM
Unity is not a failure. And Mageia and Mint are NOT more popular, just more hyped on distrowatch. Tell me, how many established Linux users even visit distrowatch? I don't, the only time I ever did was when I was running Windows looking into Linux...

arizonalarry2
September 4th, 2012, 06:48 AM
The trouble with Ubuntu - by the time the released version is patched up and the bugs are worked out, and you've finally figured out how to get everything to work, and it's running just the way you want it to, it's no longer supported and you have to get a new version and start all over.

kevinmchapman
September 4th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Smarter people than me must have figured this out by now too

They have. They have recognised that the Distrowatch figures that you are basing your whole argument on mean nothing.

zombifier25
September 4th, 2012, 07:18 AM
[...]
My experience may be subjective,[...]

As for the rest of your post, it went over my head.

vasa1
September 4th, 2012, 07:31 AM
I'm not here to bash Unity ...
I have since moved on to Mint ...
Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Appreciate your kindness.

Paqman
September 4th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Unity is a failure. It's not what the users want, and it's not what the market is responding to.

Unity is controversial with established users. Some like it, some don't. What actual data are you basing "Unity is a failure" on?

Ubuntu is third in popularity in DistroWatch, after Mint and Mageia. Both of them are about twice as popular as Ubuntu right now.

So Ubuntu has become a distant third in a last place finish. This is shocking to me.

Distrowatch page hits do not reflect actual use of a distro. At all. Ubuntu is still by far and away the most-used distro.

My experience may be subjective, but the numbers tell the same story.

Actually, the numbers don't tell that story at all. Check Wikimedia's breakdown of page hits on Wikipedia. Ubuntu makes up a minimum of about half of all Linux users, possibly more, and the number is in fact rising (0.41% of hits in Oct 2011, 0.66% in Jun 2012). This is a large sample (150 billion page hits per month of which 9 billion are Linux) and represents a reasonable diverse range of users so is immensely more reliable than pokey old Distrowatch.

nothingspecial
September 4th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Been here, done this, bought the t-shirt, wore the t-shirt so many times it has now has holes in it and needs throwing away.

Closed.