PDA

View Full Version : Winter boredom brings on a project

KiwiNZ
September 3rd, 2012, 09:49 PM
I have decided I needed a project and with my sons we are going to customise a car. I have purchased a 2012 Suzuki Swift Sport (see pic) and change it.

Add a supercharger
Wider wheels and of course wider wheel arches
New Front Shocks
improved brakes
improved cooling
Front stability bar
New Drivers seat and front passenger seat
Front splitter
Rear Valance
Ceramic paint protection
Improved fog lights
Improved driving lights
Daytime LED's

And anything else we think of along the way

CharlesA
September 3rd, 2012, 11:12 PM
That sounds like an awesome summer winter project.

sffvba[e0rt
September 3rd, 2012, 11:16 PM
Australia (and NZ a little) are renowned for their turbo conversions... so I was wondering about the choice of car and going for a supercharger?

KiwiNZ
September 3rd, 2012, 11:20 PM
It will end up looking similar to this. The target power output is 140kw (187hp)

KiwiNZ
September 3rd, 2012, 11:27 PM
Haven't finalised if it will be a Turbo or Supercharger conversion here are some pics of the two different conversions, the pic with the Red is the turbo the white the supercharger.

We are hoping to eliminate lag, if there were room I would love to put both in but the controllers would be very complicated.

sffvba[e0rt
September 3rd, 2012, 11:34 PM
Haven't finalised if it will be a Turbo or Supercharger conversion here are some pics of the two different conversions, the pic with the Red is the turbo the white the supercharger.

We are hoping to eliminate lag, if there were room I would love to put both in but the controllers would be very complicated.

I know many of the top-end cars have gone the bi-turbo route to try and reduce lag... how do-able that is on this car I will leave for you to figure out :D

coldraven
September 3rd, 2012, 11:42 PM
Are you trying to kill your sons?
NZ roads are infamous for rural drivers pulling out of side roads with no conception of approaching vehicle speeds.
Maybe think about converting it to electric..

KiwiNZ
September 3rd, 2012, 11:46 PM
NZ roads are infamous for rural drivers pulling out of side roads with no conception of approaching vehicle speeds.

They are? news to me.

KiwiNZ
September 3rd, 2012, 11:55 PM
I should add that this is going to be used primarily as a track car

Primefalcon
September 4th, 2012, 12:25 AM
I cant think what they're called atm for the life of me, but you might wanna put one of this air things on the front that pushes the car down, so it keeps good traction at high speeds.

Could also consider adding a nitrous system ;)

@coldraven, electric atm is a joke... it may be feasable in the future but atm they are nowhere near good enough for even average joe driver..... that is unless of course you like buying bridges

KiwiNZ
September 4th, 2012, 12:35 AM
I cant think what they're called atm for the life of me, but you might wanna put one of this air things on the front that pushes the car down, so it keeps good traction at high speeds.

Could also consider adding a nitrous system ;)

@coldraven, electric atm is a joke... it may be feasable in the future but atm they are nowhere near good enough for even average joe driver..... that is unless of course you like buying bridges

It's called a splitter, I have included it

Lightstar
September 4th, 2012, 12:39 AM
Carbuntu?

alphacrucis2
September 4th, 2012, 12:54 AM
I have decided I needed a project and with my sons we are going to customise a car. I have purchased a 2012 Suzuki Swift Sport (see pic) and change it.

Add a supercharger
Wider wheels and of course wider wheel arches
New Front Shocks
improved brakes
improved cooling
Front stability bar
New Drivers seat and front passenger seat
Front splitter
Rear Valance
Ceramic paint protection
Improved fog lights
Improved driving lights
Daytime LED's

1. Donut and burnout test.

2. Repeat 1 two more times.

3. Police confiscate vehicle and have it crushed.

:lolflag:

lisati
September 4th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Something like this (http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/7581649/Crushed-boyracer-car-on-display)?

KiwiNZ
September 4th, 2012, 01:06 AM
1. Donut and burnout test.

2. Repeat 1 two more times.

:lolflag:

Myself and my Sons have more respect for our motor vehicles and other road users to do that. This is why it will primarily be a track car.

GWBouge
September 4th, 2012, 01:26 AM
One thing I'm surprised I don't see on the list is a new exhaust system to help that supercharger breathe. It's not exactly a necessity, stock may suffice, but I'd imagine another 5-10% power gain on top of the forced air.

sffvba[e0rt
September 4th, 2012, 01:35 AM
Carbuntu?

Nice Ubuntu Orange and Canonical Aubergine paint job...

Bandit
September 4th, 2012, 02:18 AM
I have decided I needed a project and ...................

Sounds kewl..
I plan on looking at home Certified Pro Owned Benz this coming weekend. But really all depends on the dealer and how willing they are to deal. Gonna be customizing mine as well, but prob only things like LED foglamps and such.

KiwiNZ
September 4th, 2012, 02:58 AM
One thing I'm surprised I don't see on the list is a new exhaust system to help that supercharger breathe. It's not exactly a necessity, stock may suffice, but I'd imagine another 5-10% power gain on top of the forced air.

Haven't decided on exhaust yet, have to get the right mix of extraction and back pressure

Primefalcon
September 4th, 2012, 04:23 AM
Sounds kewl..
I plan on looking at home Certified Pro Owned Benz this coming weekend. But really all depends on the dealer and how willing they are to deal. Gonna be customizing mine as well, but prob only things like LED foglamps and such.
How about some of that 3d hologramic type paint in cobalt blue... that would look awesome.....

btw before and after pics on here would be sweet! or even a short video of before and after of it driving!

KiwiNZ
September 4th, 2012, 04:33 AM
It is going to take a few months to do this because of my physical limitations and the times my sons have free during their Uni studies.

Face-Ache
September 4th, 2012, 04:47 AM
Wow, i wish i had the coin for a project like this! A brand new car, with a ton of aftermarket upgrades? Just quietly, you mustn't be short of a few bob!

Paqman
September 4th, 2012, 07:46 AM
They are? news to me.

I would say: just notorious for really drivers in general. Kiwis are generally incredibly nice people, except when they get behind the wheel when they turn into complete %&$#s. Trying to get in to a stream of traffic in NZ is an exercise in frustration, nobody will let you in.

KiwiNZ
September 4th, 2012, 07:55 AM
I would say: just notorious for really drivers in general. Kiwis are generally incredibly nice people, except when they get behind the wheel when they turn into complete %&$#s. Trying to get in to a stream of traffic in NZ is an exercise in frustration, nobody will let you in.

I agree about the stream of traffic, however always try to let people in if safe to do so.

Paqman
September 4th, 2012, 08:10 AM
I agree about the stream of traffic, however always try to let people in if safe to do so.

Oh, it's not you I'm having a go at. It's all 4 million of us collectively.

mips
September 4th, 2012, 08:30 AM

Apparently you guys have a weird road rule over there where oncoming vehicles wanting to turn right (their right, your left) and cross your lane have right of way? Dunno if it applies to all types of vehicles or maybe just school busses or something like that.

KiwiNZ
September 4th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Apparently you guys have a weird road rule over there where oncoming vehicles wanting to turn right (their right, your left) and cross your lane have right of way? Dunno if it applies to all types of vehicles or maybe just school busses or something like that.

That crazyness has been change

KiwiNZ
September 4th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Oh, it's not you I'm having a go at. It's all 4 million of us collectively.

I know that :-)

I find courtesy is better in Auckland and Wellington, in smaller centres it can be really bad

Grenage
September 4th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Car tinkering is fun, but that car is too new. You'll be missing out on the joys of corroded bolts, and mounts held together with rust and straps!

Get a bike! ;)

mips
September 4th, 2012, 09:30 AM
That crazyness has been change

I was told this by a friend that toured NZ in a campervan with his wife and he said he had few very close calls. He thought the people were just driving like idiots until he was told it's actually a local law/rule to which he just shook his head :lolflag:

lisati
September 4th, 2012, 09:35 AM
I was told this by a friend that toured NZ in a campervan with his wife and he said he had few very close calls. He thought the people were just driving like idiots until he was told it's actually a local law/rule to which he just shook his head :lolflag:
It's a rule that came in a couple of months after I first got my license more years ago than I care to remember. Not driving that often these days (no car but occasionally called upon by work and family), I hope I remember next time I drive that things have changed back to something more like what it used to be.

CharlesA
September 4th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Sounds like the traffic I have to deal with every day. Yikes!

@Kiwi: Are you thinking of adding a cold air intake or will that be added later if/when you do the exhaust?

KiwiNZ
September 4th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Sounds like the traffic I have to deal with every day. Yikes!

@Kiwi: Are you thinking of adding a cold air intake or will that be added later if/when you do the exhaust?

I will have to decide that, I was hoping to avoid any ugly 'air scoops'

CharlesA
September 4th, 2012, 10:40 PM
I will have to decide that, I was hoping to avoid any ugly 'air scoops'
The one my friend has on his car is underneath the car, not on the hood, but I am not sure what brand it is or what the technical name is for it.

sffvba[e0rt
September 4th, 2012, 10:43 PM
The one my friend has on his car is underneath the car, not on the hood, but I am not sure what brand it is or what the technical name is for it.

I suspect you are referring to an Inter-cooler...

CharlesA
September 4th, 2012, 11:38 PM
I suspect you are referring to an Inter-cooler...

Could be. I've always heard them refer to it as a 'cold air intake'

*shrugs*