PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or are you dissapointed

fxgogo
June 28th, 2006, 12:38 PM
After almost a month of messing with Dapper, I really feel like this has not been a good release. So many things are broken, the biggest for me being wireless support. I truely hope there is a 'fix it' release coming out, till then I will be using breezy.

Maggot
June 28th, 2006, 12:40 PM
For a 'release' it was probably a big more buggy than it should have been but I have no major issues at the moment.

sophtpaw
June 28th, 2006, 12:57 PM
For a 'release' it was probably a big more buggy than it should have been but I have no major issues at the moment.
yea...

i'm thinking of switching to Mepis or SUSE or something...Debian is rock solid!

_simon_
June 28th, 2006, 01:00 PM
no disappointment here!

bluenova
June 28th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Is it just me or are you dissapointed
I think most people are very happy. I'm certainly a happy chappy.

Granted the upgrade from Breezy was really bad, but after doing a fresh install and a bit of customising to my preferences, it now runs like a dream.

bruce89
June 28th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Certain people find issues, I haven't had any. No release will be perfect for 100% of people, and if you try to do that you end up with Debian's 3 year release time. (for 3.0, that is)

RAV TUX
June 28th, 2006, 01:29 PM
After almost a month of messing with Dapper, I really feel like this has not been a good release. So many things are broken, the biggest for me being wireless support. I truely hope there is a 'fix it' release coming out, till then I will be using breezy.

Guess what?

The Edgy Eft is due out soon.

bruce89
June 28th, 2006, 01:29 PM
The Edgy Eft is due out soon.
Yes, try it now if you want to see REAL breakage!

Maggot
June 28th, 2006, 01:53 PM
yea...

i'm thinking of switching to Mepis or SUSE or something...Debian is rock solid!
I came from Suse ;)

I've very happy with ubuntu. Small things...its the only distro that my laptop multimedia buttons work after install.

mhancoc7
June 28th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Dapper works perfect on my Toshiba A55 laptop. Everything worked right out of the box.
Jereme

yaztromo
June 28th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Whats broken? Nothing broken here.

sophtpaw
June 28th, 2006, 02:39 PM
so much denial...

the first step out of denial is accepting there is a problem. Then help is possible

common lets get to the 12 step program

Linux Anonymous anyone?

Jucato
June 28th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Well, I guess in the end, different people will have different feelings about Dapper. Some are happy, some are not.

My emotions are mixed. Generally, I'm happy with Kubuntu Dapper. It's much faster than Kubuntu Breezy, and I've had less crashes in Dapper. Maybe the 6 weeks delay paid off. I'm also glad that Kubuntu decided to include some theme/customization packages. I'm a customization buff.

But my happiness ends with upgrading the kernel. No matter what I try to do, the new kernel does not work for me (mouse doesn't move). But that's ok. At least I can still use the 2.6.15-23 kernel.

I'm still waiting for SimplyMEPIS 6 to be released in July. Maybe, just maybe, I might like it. Maybe...

nickle
June 28th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Maybe the 6 weeks delay paid off.

I'm still waiting for SimplyMEPIS 6 to be released in July. Maybe, just maybe, I might like it. Maybe...
Without the 6 weeks, things would have been a disaster. The 6 weeks were not to just as polish as they said, but to get a reasonable release. Things are find for me, but so was breezy!

Mepis 6 should be interesting, they have had more time to polish Dapper and add their own stuff. I will be curious to see the result.

nrwilk
June 28th, 2006, 07:00 PM
I absolutely love Dapper. No problems whatsoever yet.

It seems more solid than breezy to me, and it's fixed several bugs that I experienced in Breezy.

bruce89
June 28th, 2006, 07:02 PM
I'll summarise -
Is it just me or are you dissapointed
No, a few people are, but not me.
For instance:

Despite having been delayed by six weeks for "polish" and carrying a "Long Term Support" tag, the Ubuntu 6.06 release was a disappointment.http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20060612
Mind you, it was in a piece about the delights of Fedora Core 5, Red Hat probably paid them for it.

fuscia
June 28th, 2006, 07:04 PM
so much denial...

the first step out of denial is accepting there is a problem. Then help is possible

common lets get to the 12 step program

Linux Anonymous anyone?

step 1 - identify the problem. so, what's broken?

bailout
June 28th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Biggest dissapointment for me is printing which is atrocious for my 2 epsons and oki printer. Exactly the same performance issues as breezy. I don't know whether the problem is kdeprint, the drivers or whether it is under ubuntu's control at all.

There is a major problem with the wireless connection dialog in kubuntu system settings when using the included driver for my ralink usb stick. I can get round this by manually editing files and using terminal commands but what surprised and dissappointed me most about this bug is that it locks the system completly and the only way out is a hard reboot. I was a bit shocked at this after hearing all the "linux never crashes like windows" posts.

I have to admit going through another "is linux really worth it" phase at the moment. k/ubuntu has come closer than any other distro I have tried to getting me a fully working system that I could use for the majority of things but I am not sure it is there yet for me. I still find that whenever I really need to do something other than browse the internet I boot into windows. Perhaps after a bit of a break I will come back to it in a better frame of mind.

wmcbrine
June 28th, 2006, 07:32 PM
No problems for me once I got through the upgrade itself (ugh), and stopped Firefox crashing (took out the Free Flash plugins and the Flashblock extension).

djsroknrol
June 28th, 2006, 07:38 PM
No major boo-hoo's for me on my AMD Sempron or my older than dirt IBM Thinkpad T21...

Arktis
June 28th, 2006, 07:38 PM
I'm fairly pleased. Everything worked OotB, including wireless. I am having two minor issues though:

1.) Sound trouble with flash.
2.) Firestarter doesn't load automaticly unless I manually restart X.

That's it though. Everything else is responsive and stable.

sophtpaw
June 28th, 2006, 07:40 PM
step 1 - identify the problem. so, what's broken?

No, step 1 is always - recognise that there is a problem. what dismays me is whenever someone reports a problem or some sense of disappointment with Linux and there are always those who come along and say: "no problem here!" "Everything is great, here!" Well, good for you! but how does that help? Its said almost as if to imply that other people are lying or just making it up. Are we so insecure as not to be able to accept that not everything works all of the time with Linux? things do break, and the system does crash, common....

you ask me what is broken. just read the thread so many people with issues.

Personally, my whole system crashed when trying to configure my wireless, to the loss of stuff on my computer. I know its my fault for not having backed up.
but i daren't even try again. Instead i went and spend another 13 pounds on a 10m network cable

I still can't play all multimedia tpes. I just wished it was all simple. Not having ot use one app for one style and another for another sound type

I installed easyubuntu but the launcher in Applications won't do its job so its just sitting there.

I still prefer Linux over Windows any day and will put up with the process of Linux getting better and better, in the sense of desktop ease of usability and functionality. It already has and i have faith it will continue to do so. But once in a while some of us let a sigh of exasperation out, and i don't like people then coming along and pretending evrything is just fine and dandy. that is not how things are going to improve.
I wish i was a programmer who could contribute by fixing things. but i'm just a footsoldier who supports by using the GNU/Linux os 9whatever it may be. for me it has been Ubuntu for a while.
It does work, but i'm not as confident as i would like to be that everything is as solid and dependable as i would like it to be

RAV TUX
June 28th, 2006, 07:44 PM
I have expierenced zero problems with Dapper and if any come up I seek help here in the forums.

Ubuntuforums are unique to distros I have yet to find such helpful people, this is one of Ubuntu's strongest assets.

If anybody does decide to use a different Distro, that is cool just remember to come back and see us and if you need any help with your new Distro let us know.

Most people here are like myself and use many different Distros and would be more then happy to help you out.

Bloch
June 28th, 2006, 08:04 PM
I installed Dapper on two different computers, and on both there were major problems in getting it installed. I used the standard live/install combo disk.
On the second computer I installed a fresh copy of windows 2000 for a friend, so he could boot into it. Windows is needed if for example you have a hardware problem and need to ring the supplier, or if your broadband is dodgy and you need to ring the provider.
But dapper reported that it could not find enough space (this was on a 40GB disk, about 4.5 was being used by the fresh install of windows).
I ended up choosing to wipe out windows and install on the whole disk. He doesn't miss windows at the moment, but I wish i didn't have to do this. What happens when his broadband modem fails?

But once it was installed it ran very well on both machines. Real player plays without sound on one machine (the hack is to kill esd and restart realplayer). I can play all the media types I have come across. Amarok, limewire and Totem work better than in Breezy. OpenOffice is faster.

My general impression from the forums is that the move to a combined live/installation CD caused problems for many. I believe I would have been better off with the "alternate installer" disk.

Arktis
June 28th, 2006, 08:22 PM
No, step 1 is always - recognise that there is a problem. what dismays me is whenever someone reports a problem or some sense of disappointment with Linux and there are always those who come along and say: "no problem here!" "Everything is great, here!" Well, good for you! but how does that help? Its said almost as if to imply that other people are lying or just making it up. Are we so insecure as not to be able to accept that not everything works all of the time with Linux? things do break, and the system does crash, common....

This is not a support thread, and the title POSES A QUESTION that people are answering. If you are unsatified by their answers, too bad.

Go start a support thread, and get help there. Otherwise, pretty please, stop trolling. Because that's what you're doing, whether you understand it or not.

Stromham
June 28th, 2006, 08:30 PM
well when i come across a problem i will tell you, mind you i have had a few problems, it took me all night to install wireless and i have had a bit of problems with plugins but i have gotten it done in 2 days and i loss less hair over it aswell, now this is coming from a guy who never used linux before and had ubuntu for 3 days. and if i do have problems they are fixed with the help of the bug team or these great community members in a matter of minutes!

fuscia
June 29th, 2006, 01:17 AM

the original poster stated "I really feel like this has not been a good release." just because he had some problems. some people said the same thing about breezy and i don't know about before that. so, some of us stating that we've had no problems is a counter to the suggestion that it is a bad release, not a counter to the suggestion that some people may have some pretty rough problems with it. this is a support forum that has been in existence well before dapper, so we can assume that all the releases have had their troubles.

nrwilk
June 29th, 2006, 01:35 AM
what dismays me is whenever someone reports a problem or some sense of disappointment with Linux and there are always those who come along and say: "no problem here!" "Everything is great, here!" Well, good for you! but how does that help? Its said almost as if to imply that other people are lying or just making it up. Are we so insecure as not to be able to accept that not everything works all of the time with Linux? things do break, and the system does crash, common....

Well, I took the thread title to mean that you wanted all opinions. I just wanted to report that I've had no problems. If only those who had problems responded here, you would not get a correct answer to your question.

Yes, others are dissapointed, but not everyone.

fxgogo
June 29th, 2006, 11:50 AM
My main problem is getting wireless to work again after Ubuntu used to install it flawlessly. The problem in itself was not a problem for me (????? ;) ), but the lack of response by Ubuntu was. The wireless support thread is just full of people having problems with their wireless cards, and I have not seen any official comment or statement as to how this is going to be solved.

nuvo
June 29th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Can't say I've had any major issues with Dapper.
I upgraded while it was still in Beta and pretty much everything worked as normal, including my WiFi.
The only thing Dapper did wrong was mounting partitions, which it seemed to like doing with the partition labels rather than with the names I specified using fstab (worked under Breezy).
Even then, the partition labels were readable since I'd set most of them up myself.

I do have an issue with playing quicktime .mov files from my HDD (unwatchable video, but fine audio), but they play fine when streaming from somewhere like rubyonrails.org.
I think this may be an issue with installing XGL though as such movies always seem to go a bit funky for me after installing it (window corruption while playing).

AndyCooll
June 29th, 2006, 12:50 PM
I've changed my mind about Dapper. At first I was disappointed like you, but now I'm very happy with it.

I was disappointed because I was having issues with it, and I believe this is probably because I initially upgraded (quite a few folks have reported problems with upgrading). Anyway, once I tried a fresh install instead things looked a lot brighter.

However, I still had a few further problems. As I figured them out though I realised that these were actually my mistakes rather than the distro itself.

I'm not saying Dapper is perfect, but a fresh install and a correct configuration have gone a long way to me realising it is better than I initially thought.

:cool:

sorin7486
June 29th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Well.. I was a bit disapointed that the install from the livecd didn't work on my box... I had to get a normal install CD :(... but the rest was great... allot of things work bether for me on drapper than on Breezy (not that I had great issues with it anyways)

I think maybe people where expecting more from this one... It was suposed to be.. well.. enterprise level.. So people felt allot more disapointment at even the smallest of problems...

Wermut
June 29th, 2006, 12:56 PM
I am very disappointed for a number of reasons:

This grave bug on Pentium M machines https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/30557 can cause permanent damage of hardware and causes bad performance.

The resolution and refresh rate are still not configured correctly. Breezy did not set the right resolution (1400x1050), but was able to set a higher resolution than Dapper, which only gave me 1024x768.

Many things that work in Ubuntu don't work in KDE Kubuntu (e.g. ACPI). Kubuntu is not nearly as polished as Ubuntu. The developers should consider discontinuing Kubuntu development and focus on one distribution. At the present it only misleads people to believe that Kubuntu is a reliable distribution.

Wireless networking support still nearly nonexistent; everything has to be done from the command line.

Update from Breezy to Dapper could have worked better (was partly my fault because I installed some packages from other sources; on the other hand I guess many people do just that and expect the package management to handle this more gracefully).

The german translation of the menues etc. is still bad.

From my point of view, only few improvements were made over Breezy:

Faster bootup time (though still slow compared to MS Windows)

Newer packages (but who needs them when there is no substantial functionality improvement).

Nice graphical installer which asks fewer questions (good step towards novice users) and it is cool to surf the web while your system is installing.

givré
June 29th, 2006, 01:34 PM
My main problem is getting wireless to work again after Ubuntu used to install it flawlessly. The problem in itself was not a problem for me (????? ;) ), but the lack of response by Ubuntu was. The wireless support thread is just full of people having problems with their wireless cards, and I have not seen any official comment or statement as to how this is going to be solved.
It's just because it's not a general issue but an hardware issue, What can they say if wireless manufacters don't give drivers for linux or specs, so dev can make one for free.
Of course there is problem with some wireless card or printer, but that's not general, so don't come and say:
'the biggest for me being wireless support. I truely hope there is a 'fix it' release coming out'.
Don't blame ubuntu but the manufacters, and have a look there https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported before bying a wifi card

Maggot
June 29th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I am very disappointed for a number of reasons:

This grave bug on Pentium M machines https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.15/+bug/30557 can cause permanent damage of hardware and causes bad performance.

I've read through that and fail to see how it can cause permanent damage to hardware :confused:

Jvaldezjr
June 29th, 2006, 02:32 PM
The only thing I'm dissappointed about with this release is my sound issues. Apparently it seems like it's 50-50 to people who have problems with ALSA and who do not. Everything else about the release is great, but even when I switched to Breezy- I had alsa problems that took some work to fix. Doing those same things now with Dapper still hasnt fixed my problems.

The problem is in this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=201982

Most of everything else (except sound) that I had to manually do with config files, and sources builds have just worked in dapper (printer interfacing was a lot better- detected my PSC all in one and worked out of the box). Network isnt an issue (was with Hoary), and everything else is the same, but more stable. Plus I really like that gcc has been upgraded.

TeeAhr1
June 29th, 2006, 03:27 PM
I've changed my mind about Dapper. At first I was disappointed like you, but now I'm very happy with it.
I hope to get there. For now, I've reached a state of...less upset. The first couple weeks post-release, there were some very problematic bugs for me. The big update the second week of June fixed nearly all of the problems I was having (and I was having them, too, let me tell you. Lots of weird glitchy stuff with Nautilus, especially.)

But even having said that, I'm afraid my response is...so what? Yeah, it's faster on my machine, especially the boot, which is really nice, because the Breezy boot-up process was agonizingly slow. But monitor auto-detection still doesn't give me the correct screen resolutions (and it's not like I've got some wierd off-brand monitor, either), the entire printing system got way worse, some (IMHO) stupid decisions were made re: default packages and program associations, and overall, I fail to see the big selling point over Breezy. Yes, it's faster. What else?

wmcbrine
June 29th, 2006, 06:09 PM
I've read through that and fail to see how it can cause permanent damage to hardware :confused:According to the bug, the CPU is kept throttled up. This will generate more heat. It shouldn't cause hardware damage -- the system should be engineered to tolerate the CPU running at full throttle all the time, because who knows how it will be used -- but it might, in a system that skimped on cooling to save on weight or cost.

the entire printing system got way worseCould you elaborate on this? I haven't noticed a difference.

sophtpaw
June 29th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Please don't troll?

or join TA (trollers anonymous)

remember the first step

pchr
June 30th, 2006, 07:46 PM
I've been pretty pleased with this one. Had better luck with multi card reader and graphics tablet than in Breezy, sound working much better without any tweaking and the new screen that comes up when "ejecting" USB media has stopped me from corrupting my mem cards all the time.

Haven't come across anything bad yet. I think it's as much luck as anything else, depends on if you've got hardware that was available to a developer I guess. Also depends on the feature set you use. For me Dapper is compatible with my hardware AND with the feature set that I want to use.

Perhaps when I try my Hauppauge 150MCE TV card I might start to grumble and if I hadn't bought those dLan ethernet over mains things and still relied on wireless I might be a bit peeved. Luckily I saw the light (that wireless is a pain in the @rse) a long time ago.

fxgogo
July 4th, 2006, 01:28 PM
It's just because it's not a general issue but an hardware issue, What can they say if wireless manufacters don't give drivers for linux or specs, so dev can make one for free.
Of course there is problem with some wireless card or printer, but that's not general, so don't come and say:
'the biggest for me being wireless support. I truely hope there is a 'fix it' release coming out'.
Don't blame ubuntu but the manufacters, and have a look there https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported before bying a wifi card

Dude, I am saying that cause when my wireless card worked perfectly in Warty, Hoary and Breezy and then breaks in Dapper, it IS a Ubuntu problem and not a hardware problem.

givré
July 4th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Okay, after seeing what was your wireless card (who use prism54 chipset), i can say you are right and this is a bad bug. I don't know why it was not resolve in the last kernel. Did you fill a bug, if they don't know that it's not working, how can they guess?
Also did you try using ndiswrapper? I know that should work out of the box, but that the last thing you can do.
So i appologize to be quite rude with you, sorry guy.

mstlyevil
July 4th, 2006, 02:23 PM

So how does coming on the Ubuntuforums cafe section and complaining about the problems fix the issue? It doesn't since the developers do not read the cafe. (or the forums for that matter) No one is implying those having problems are lying but they are tired of the few vocal people having problems assuming everyone is having their problems.

I for one am tired of people who are having problems saying things like Dapper is a major dissapointment to all users or that Dapper is not ready for primetime. How about those threads saying how wonderfull Breezy was and how Dapper is a step backwards. I started with Hoary and was here when Breezy was released. The same things were said about Breezy. It is a never ending cycle that when a new release comes out there will be the crowd that just hates it.

you ask me what is broken. just read the thread so many people with issues.

Personally, my whole system crashed when trying to configure my wireless, to the loss of stuff on my computer. I know its my fault for not having backed up.
but i daren't even try again. Instead i went and spend another 13 pounds on a 10m network cable

I still can't play all multimedia tpes. I just wished it was all simple. Not having ot use one app for one style and another for another sound type

I installed easyubuntu but the launcher in Applications won't do its job so its just sitting there.

So I have a question. Have you filed a bug report? If things are not working right the best way to get the developers attention is to file a bug report.

Also how is Mutimedia different from Breezy or even Windows? You cant play all types of multimedia in either of them with just one player either.

And the last part sounds to me like a bug with EasyUbuntu and not Dapper.

I still prefer Linux over Windows any day and will put up with the process of Linux getting better and better, in the sense of desktop ease of usability and functionality. It already has and i have faith it will continue to do so. But once in a while some of us let a sigh of exasperation out, and i don't like people then coming along and pretending evrything is just fine and dandy. that is not how things are going to improve.
I wish i was a programmer who could contribute by fixing things. but i'm just a footsoldier who supports by using the GNU/Linux os 9whatever it may be. for me it has been Ubuntu for a while.
It does work, but i'm not as confident as i would like to be that everything is as solid and dependable as i would like it to be

There is no problem with venting your frustration as long as you are clear that is what you are doing. But the tone of many of these post complaining is not venting but either bashing or hoping some dev will read it and fix the problem.

You want to help improve Linux and you are not a programmer? Here is how you do it.

(1) Get involved. Start helping people with issues you have conquered to resolve thiers. Go read the support sections and when you are able help someone fix the problem.

(2) Spread Linux. The more people using it means the more resources that hardware and software companies will pour into it for hardware and driver support. This right here will solve 90% of peoples issues if there were proper drivers and support for Linux.

(3) File bug reports. You want to get the attention of developers then file a bug report when you find them. To file a bug report on Ubuntu go to www.launchpad.net . That is where you will get the devs attention and a possible update that may fix your issue.

Those are three ways to contribute as a non developer. There is always a fourth one and that is donate money to help pay for the cost of development and to support those working hard to fix these problems.

mstlyevil
July 4th, 2006, 02:38 PM

This forum is a community forum run by volunteers. The developers do not read these forums. If you want their attention, file bug reports as I mentioned previously.

Please understand people here are not associated with Ubuntu and do this in their spare time for free. No one here giving support gets paid for it but do it for the love of Ubuntu and a desire to contribute.

mstlyevil
July 4th, 2006, 02:41 PM

I was disappointed because I was having issues with it, and I believe this is probably because I initially upgraded (quite a few folks have reported problems with upgrading). Anyway, once I tried a fresh install instead things looked a lot brighter.

However, I still had a few further problems. As I figured them out though I realised that these were actually my mistakes rather than the distro itself.

I'm not saying Dapper is perfect, but a fresh install and a correct configuration have gone a long way to me realising it is better than I initially thought.

:cool:

I agree with you here that the majority of problems are due to a bad upgrade or improper configuration.

No operating system is perfect and yes there are bugs in Dapper too.

mstlyevil
July 4th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Well.. I was a bit disapointed that the install from the livecd didn't work on my box... I had to get a normal install CD :(... but the rest was great... allot of things work bether for me on drapper than on Breezy (not that I had great issues with it anyways)

I think maybe people where expecting more from this one... It was suposed to be.. well.. enterprise level.. So people felt allot more disapointment at even the smallest of problems...

It is Enterprise level. IT professionals will pre-install it for users and have it working and configured. You can't base the issues the home users are having with the issues the IT departments are facing since these are professionals that bought all the hardware specifically for Dapper. The end user will never experience the issues you or I the home user will face since we install it ourselves.

mstlyevil
July 4th, 2006, 02:52 PM
I hope to get there. For now, I've reached a state of...less upset. The first couple weeks post-release, there were some very problematic bugs for me. The big update the second week of June fixed nearly all of the problems I was having (and I was having them, too, let me tell you. Lots of weird glitchy stuff with Nautilus, especially.)

But even having said that, I'm afraid my response is...so what? Yeah, it's faster on my machine, especially the boot, which is really nice, because the Breezy boot-up process was agonizingly slow. But monitor auto-detection still doesn't give me the correct screen resolutions (and it's not like I've got some wierd off-brand monitor, either), the entire printing system got way worse, some (IMHO) stupid decisions were made re: default packages and program associations, and overall, I fail to see the big selling point over Breezy. Yes, it's faster. What else?

Exit GDM by hitting Alt+F2 and then do this.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

When you get to the monitor section you will need to manually select the proper resolution by scrolling down to it and then hitting the space bar and then press enter. Then select simple and select your screen size. After you finish the utility just reboot and your resolution will be the proper one.

fxgogo
July 4th, 2006, 03:23 PM
This forum is a community forum run by volunteers. The developers do not read these forums. If you want their attention, file bug reports as I mentioned previously.

Please understand people here are not associated with Ubuntu and do this in their spare time for free. No one here giving support gets paid for it but do it for the love of Ubuntu and a desire to contribute.

I know what you are saying mstlyevil. I am a fairly new user to Linux and Ubuntu as you can see from my amount of posts. I am very keen to get involved, but from a new users perspective it is not so easy to find the route to do these things. So the forums become a easier place to start. And they do serve a good purpose for us newbies, as most of the time it is user error and there is a solution posted is most cases.

I would also suggest that the developers do read these forums, as they will get a good idea of what is happening on the ground where their 'customers' are congregating. A users perspective is often quite different to a developers and the more interaction between the two the better.

givré
July 4th, 2006, 03:29 PM
I would also suggest that the developers do read these forums, as they will get a good idea of what is happening on the ground where their 'customers' are congregating. A users perspective is often quite different to a developers and the more interaction between the two the better.
I don't know how they could have time to do that. and if they had time, how can they see the difference between newbee error and real problem in the 1000's of post there is in this forum.
And anyway, filling bug is for that. And you could also use the ubunt-users mailing list https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

EDIT: there is surely a gap between what's happens in this forum and the dev, but i don't really know how we can solve that. The best solution should be that one or two of them pass more time in this forum and report the more common problem, but i definitly think that the better way is malone.
If you report your problem with some debuging information, it could be resolve

mstlyevil
July 4th, 2006, 03:36 PM
I don't know how they could have time to do that. and if they had time, how can they see the difference between newbee error and real problem in the 1000's of post there is in this forum.
And anyway, filling bug is for that. And you could also use the ubunt-users mailing list https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

EDIT: there is surely a gap between what's happens in this forum and the dev, but i don't really know how we can solve that. The best solution should be that one or two of them pass more time in this forum and report the more common problem, but i definitly think that the better way is malone.
If you report your problem with some debuging information, it could be resolve

We have suggested that to them but have yet to really see it. If you want to get a devs attention, subscribe to the mailing list and go on IRC. Those are the two places to directly communicate with the devs.