PDA

View Full Version : Ergonomic Keyboards and Mice

matthekc
September 2nd, 2012, 07:06 PM
Lately I have been having some wrist pain especially when using a mouse for any length of time... I am looking for some ergonomic solutions to help reduce the strain of working on computers.

I have an Adesso keyboard at work and a Microsoft Comfort Keyboard 2000 here at home. I think they make better keyboards than operating systems.

I am thinking of moving to a Microsoft wired 4000 at home and getting a new pointing device for home and work.

My biggest question is what do you guy use for an ergonomic pointing device and how has it worked for you? I would like a keyboard like the Microsoft 4000 or Adesso with 4 large programmable keys in the middle I hate reaching down for Ctrl, Alt, Shift and the Mod key(AKA windows key) has anyone ever seen anything like that?

This weekend I decided to move to Awesome WM and have installed the Vim key command extensions in my browser in an effort to touch the mouse less. So far I like the change...

Bandit
September 2nd, 2012, 07:29 PM
Using the PC for as long as I have. I can understand the pains.
Although I can not offer any medical advice. I can suggest reviewing your posture and perhaps taking a break from the PC.
Many folks get wrist pads. IMHO and only my opinion your wrist, palms should never touch the KB anyway. Only your fingures. As for mice, you just have to sort through the ones that feel the best for you.

matthekc
September 2nd, 2012, 09:13 PM
Does anyone here use a trackball the figertip or thumb kind or any other type of pointing device for RSI purposes?

MadmanRB
September 3rd, 2012, 04:45 AM
I currently use a trackball mouse because of pain in my right hand.
The jury is still out on ergonomic keyboards for me as i have tried them and they fare no better then standard ones for me but then again I am a two fingered typist.
I still get numb in my right hand but I know I am still healing, takes a while before carpal tunnel calms down but its already feeling much better then it did with my old mouse that caused so many hand cramps and pains.

Jakin
September 3rd, 2012, 05:07 AM
I don't let my hands/palms/wrists rest on anything when typing, im too- all over the keyboard- for that; so i have no need for padding or something. Whats makes a keyboard ergonomic anyway?

I like mechanical keyboards, those feel nice- does that classify as "ergonomic"?

PaulInBHC
September 3rd, 2012, 05:20 AM
Make sure that whatever you get has driver/install software for linux. My MS mouse and ergonomic keyboard are Windows only and not only do the special features not work, the mouse scrolling is slow as mud. None of the ubuntu apps that I tried helped.

@Jakin ergonomic keyboards are slightly curved so that your hands are angled when typing.

mseney
September 3rd, 2012, 06:08 AM
Check out the Logitech MK420 Keyboard (I want one) and also the Logitech Performance Mouse MX (I own one). The Mouse MX is awesome.

kurt18947
September 3rd, 2012, 06:28 AM
Does anyone here use a trackball the figertip or thumb kind or any other type of pointing device for RSI purposes?

I use and prefer a trackball. I have no RSI and would like to keep it that way. I have a Kensington orbit trackball with scroll ring. Love the scroll ring. I wasn't fond of the plastic add-on piece they include, I felt it was a waste of plastic. i cut a piece of wood so that it provided a flat surface for my wrist and the heel of my hand then tapered it so the front of the trackball was about 3/8" or about 1 cm. lower than the back. I find that very comfortable, my wrist and hand are nearly flat when using the trackball.

matthekc
September 28th, 2012, 01:41 AM
I have had the Microsoft 4000 keyboard and the trackball mouse for about 2 weeks now. That has helped some, I moved my workspace into the corner of my L-shaped desk at work and that helped because it offered elbow support. however now my knee sometimes hits part of the desk you can't win them all. I am probably going to get a chair for my home workspace with adjustable elbow rests and I think I need a monitor stand for my home monitor as it sits way to low.

Thank you all for your advice.

cariboo
September 28th, 2012, 04:03 AM
I use one of Microsoft's 4000 series keyboards, on my lap, I don't have or want a desk, sitting in one of these (http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/00155780/). With the monitor mounted on an arm attached to a bookcase.

standingwave
September 28th, 2012, 05:40 AM
Weird. Just two days ago I bought an MS Comfort 3000 mouse, not necessarily for ergonomic reasons but because the scroll wheel on my old one wore out. It was $20 at Staples and just felt better in my hand than the $15 options. Also make sure your work space is set up ergonomically (http://averydesigninteriors.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/ergonomics-computer_workstation_-wikipedia2.jpg?w=600).