PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] window manager themes empty?

lazylew
September 2nd, 2012, 01:06 PM
On my friend's machine the windows don't have the -X- thingies anymore to maximize minimize and close, so I wanted to install another window manager's theme to see if it would solve that.
There's no themes there anymore though - it's completely empty.

Is there a way to get thems in there again, or at least get the mini-maximize, close-buttons back?

vasa1
September 2nd, 2012, 01:20 PM
On my friend's machine the windows don't have the -X- thingies anymore to maximize minimize and close, so I wanted to install another window manager's theme to see if it would solve that.
There's no themes there anymore though - it's completely empty.

Is there a way to get thems in there again, or at least get the mini-maximize, close-buttons back?

I'd suggest installing the Greybird theme as described here (http://www.webupd8.org/2012/08/greybird-default-xubuntu-theme-gets.html). It's complete and has what you need for your friend's machine.

lazylew
September 2nd, 2012, 01:33 PM
I'd suggest installing the Greybird theme as described here (http://www.webupd8.org/2012/08/greybird-default-xubuntu-theme-gets.html). It's complete and has what you need for your friend's machine.I followed the instructions and once installed choose greybird-git.
The problem still persists.

edit- alt-F4 doesn't work anymore either.

vasa1
September 2nd, 2012, 01:49 PM
Hmmm...
Okay, assuming we're talking Xfce here,
Click on the Applications Menu, Settings, then Settings Manager, then Windows Manager. There, you should see a list of WMs available. If you don't see a list, please put up an image of what you see.

Based on your edit, the problem seems more complex and you'll have to wait for more experienced members to see this thread.

lazylew
September 2nd, 2012, 02:04 PM
Hmmm...
Okay, assuming we're talking Xfce here,
Click on the Applications Menu, Settings, then Settings Manager, then Windows Manager. There, you should see a list of WMs available. If you don't see a list, please put up an image of what you see.

Based on your edit, the problem seems more complex and you'll have to wait for more experienced members to see this thread.As you can see in the attachment, there's nothing there to select.
Another strange thing is that in eg Firefox the menus do drop down when clicking them, but when I want to go down in that dropped down list it disappears immediately so nothing can be selected.

I'm already thinking of a complete reinstall, or maybe an upgrade to 12.10

lazylew
September 2nd, 2012, 04:02 PM
Solved in a drastic manner:
fresh install .

lazylew
May 5th, 2013, 11:35 AM
8 months later now, and exactly the same is happening!
I hope someone can tell me what the problem is, because once again doing a fresh install isn't an option; if it comes to that then I'd rather change distro.

lazylew
May 5th, 2013, 07:02 PM
8 months later now, and exactly the same is happening!
I hope someone can tell me what the problem is, because once again doing a fresh install isn't an option; if it comes to that then I'd rather change distro.I found one temporary solution here:
http://softsolder.com/2013/02/01/xfce-window-manager-recovery/
where the trick is to type in terminal
xfwm4 --replace
The rest of that article, which makes clear it's an XFCE-flaw and not an Ubuntu-issue, is unclear to me (I have never used SSH), but I'll try and sort it via searching the web.
I'm glad I found this temporary work-around :)