PDA

View Full Version : Video Chat in Ubuntu

kuvanito
September 2nd, 2012, 12:04 PM
it seems there is a new choice for video chat in ubuntu besides skype(always beta) and google's +
we now have jitsi.you can install the stable or the nightly build if you like the latest and greatest like me
https://jitsi.org/index.php/Main/HomePage

mastablasta
September 2nd, 2012, 10:21 PM
looks nice but what is the advantage of using this over Pidgin or Kopete? Or skype (which i dont' think it's beta anymore).

kuvanito
September 2nd, 2012, 10:51 PM
pidgin,kopete and empathy don't have the video option as jitsi does neither can they handle phonecalls via googletalk and jitsi can,skype is owned by Microsoft and they couldn't care less for any one else....:lolflag:

t0p
September 2nd, 2012, 11:16 PM
I think I'll stick with the Google thing for now. I can talk (and look) at any of my online chums as long as they're using Google too. Regardless of OS (I think...). All you need is a Google account, and most of my computerized buddies are sorted with one of them already.

kuvanito
September 2nd, 2012, 11:25 PM
I think I'll stick with the Google thing for now. I can talk (and look) at any of my online chums as long as they're using Google too. Regardless of OS (I think...). All you need is a Google account, and most of my computerized buddies are sorted with one of them already.

i think the same as you but we now have another option just in case :D

mastablasta
September 3rd, 2012, 07:05 AM
pidgin does have video talk since version 2.6.
Kopete also supports video chat.

i though google talk phone calles are limited to only certia countries.

jitsi seems to be doing it just like the rest and using one of the existing protocols for voice/video chats.

mr john
September 3rd, 2012, 07:30 AM
I've never found Linux to be good at audio/video chat. The implementations that do work are quite buggy. If you want to do IM then you're better of using Windows (IMO) because there is far more choice.

Paqman
September 3rd, 2012, 07:39 AM
I've never found Linux to be good at audio/video chat. The implementations that do work are quite buggy. If you want to do IM then you're better of using Windows (IMO) because there is far more choice.

Skype is pretty good. I use it all the time on both Windows and Linux and they're about equally good, although the Skype client for Windows is a bit better.

Lucradia
September 3rd, 2012, 08:25 AM
pidgin,kopete and empathy don't have the video option as jitsi does neither can they handle phonecalls via googletalk and jitsi can,skype is owned by Microsoft and they couldn't care less for any one else....:lolflag:

Pidgin can via XMPP iirc.